PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Last year Missouri Meerschaum released a limited edition reverse calabash style pipe designed by Chris Morgan. Two hundred twenty-five, or fifty, not sure which, were produced in total, and were quickly snatched up, even at the $50 asking price. Several forum members, including myself, were fortunate enough to get some of them, and after a year of having the pleasure to smoke one, here are some thoughts.
Upon opening the box when I received my "Cob Wasp", I thought it a nice little novelty piece, and for a day or two, I was resigned to the notion of keeping it in its pristine condition as they were made in limited quantities, and numbered. Mine being stamped "200". I started reading posts about how others were enjoying the smoking qualities of these little MM oddities, and figured what the hell. Loaded it up, and smoked it. Impressively cool and dry, even more so than a regular cob, and like a calabash, the flavors were a bit muted, but knew this would soon resolve itself after the cooling chamber became saturated with oils from the burning leaf. Was actually regretting not grabbing more than one.
As of today, I've had mine for a little over a year, and smoke it at least twice per week, quite often more so, and it still performs like a champ. I decided early on that this little guy was going to be a fold and stuff flake pipe as the chamber dimensions are perfect for that packing style. As much as I like my cob cigar, I think this should have been the pipe that they mass produced, just for the fact that I believe this to be a pipe anyone could enjoy. Any other thoughts from other Cob Wasp owners?
img_20160831_020116-337x600.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The stem is one of their Danish styles glued to a wooden plug that fits into the cooling chamber.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'm sure if they came into regular production, they would be popular sellers. I would like to own a few more myself.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I have one with an extra stem. I never got around to smoking it. I thought I read somewhere they were going to release it again.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
Thanks for the kind remarks regarding the Reverse Calabash, aka Cob Wasp. We definitely hear you about bringing it back. We would like to have done another limited edition in 2016, but time is running out. Our corn crop this year looks like it will provide us with a lot of large cobs, so we hope to at least have a limited edition run of the Reverse Calabash late next year. Thanks for your interest!

pyratemate

Lurker
Feb 6, 2013
Aye that's the problems wit limited editions... By the time folks know bout them they be gone e're to return... Oh the loss of not gettin one...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
This was sold as a Limited Edition of 250. If they bring it back, lots of owners will cry foul.
The regular production run wouldn't have to he numbered nor come with authenticity documentation. If reintroduced, I wouldn't complain, and would likely buy several.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I doubt they would continue numbering them at 251, so you would still have your original 250 limited run.

Status
Not open for further replies.