PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
They are $65 duck calls. I will duck as not to be hit in the head by the puns coming down the line on this thread. Even if you don’t make puns this is a fine opportunity, just wing it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
duck_call_2_2.jpg

From the MM site:

Missouri Meerschaum's unique, hybrid corn produces cobs that can be turned into great looking and great smoking corn cob pipes. We see this done every day in our plant by our talented lathe operators. However, our corn cobs can be a versatile raw material in the hands of a creative artisan for other products. One such artisan in our local area is Dan Messerla, a wood turner. Dan turns bowls and other items on his lathe, including duck calls. He is now creating his duck calls using our corn cobs, and Missouri Meerschaum is proud to offer the Cob Quacker Duck Call for you to admire and to purchase.
After shaping the calls on his lathe, Dan progressively sands them through 600 grit and then applies a coating of walnut oil and cyanoacrylate to produce a beautiful and functional work of art. The calls are available in two different shapes and include a polycarbonate insert with either a single or double reed. The insert is available in two colors, smoke or bourbon. The calls also feature a pewter colored metal band engraved with our name and our town.
While these calls are a functional accessory for any duck hunter, they are also a unique and beautiful work of corn cob art!
(Note: Since they are crafted by hand and since each corn cob is different, the length of each call will vary from approximately 4 to 4.5 inches.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do they have any calls that make Canada geese fly away? So far just occasional well-mannered visitors to the yard, but they were quite a plague in the 1980's at every pond and puddle, mugging people for their lunch. Things are better now. I first saw them in Canada and Michigan as "exotic" sightings. Ha. Now they'e year 'round where I live, yet they fly around in a "V" formation honking, just for show. I love the idea of duck calls from cobs, but that's too pricey unless you're really getting ready for the fall duck season. I perpetrate enough fatalities at the bacon packing plant as it is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The neighbors might not like the friendly fire. Return fire might not be bird shot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can only stand up and puff in Meeting when moved by a higher power. I do admire Quakers. I had a friend whose ancestor had been cast out of Meeting for extravagant dress and keeping a fiddle, but that was long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.