PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
How long should a MM cob last. I realize that the are inexpensive pipes, but 3 weeks and the bottom of the bowl is gone. :( I just started smoking a pipe again and have never had a cob before. Is this about how long they should last? I really liked this pipe but if all I get is three weeks I do not know if I would get another. I was smoking it every third day.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You just got unlucky.
I have 3 of the Missouri Pride pipes for about 2 years now. Holding up pretty damn well.
It's a natural material so things will get by their quality control every now and again.
Give them another shot! :puffy:

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
+1 to all of the above... I usually buy a couple at a time to save on shipping and as a precaution that I get one with a defect, but generally as far as the pipes go; I've worn through the bit before I've ever burned out the bowl on a cob. Also be sure you get an MM cob; not saying you didn't but they have these knock off chinese crap pipes that some disreputable people try to pass off as MM even as far as a faux sticker. I've gotten a cob that came free with a pouch of tobacco so I didn't care, but it only lasted about 3 weeks. You didn't get yours with a pouch of Pipa by chance?

jfox520

May 24, 2013
No I purchased it alone. It was in a blister pack from MM. I have one of the new hardwood Country Gentlemen that is shaping up nicely so I may just pick up another one of them.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have two.

My newest is a "Cobwarden".

I have it for about 3 years.

My other is just a plain old MM cob with a ebonite stem....

I've only had it for about 25 years.

When I get them broken in I'll think about a new one.
IMG00010.jpg

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I smoke MM Cobs 95% of the time and started smoking a pipe last November and have yet to have one burn out. You may have just got a bad one. Give them a call or email and I am sure they will make it right with you. They are great to deal with.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I've had some of my cobs for close to 40 years... Most of them will last a life time,

but you do get a lemon once in a while. When I get new ones, I usually get 5 to 10 per order

and break them in one at a time. You get a good feel as to how good it'll be in quick order.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Buy some more cobs! Mine are still smoking great after over a year. Fortunately they are cheap, which doesn't make it a great loss when one does happen to go bad. Probably just had one that just happened to be lower in quality.
-Frank

jfox520

May 24, 2013
Thank for all your replies. I think I will get another this weekend. 05venturer I sent an email using their web site just before I started the thread. I have not hear anything as of yet. There worst that happens in I end up with two.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I've ordered all of mine through smokingpipes.com and none have come in a blister pack. They've always been shipped in bubble wrap. They usually have a good deal on them.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
TopD:

Very impressive!

I have 3 cobs, which I have had trouble with "hot" smoking. I've slowed down on the draw and it has helped. I hope that they, and I, will develop a good relationship.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
Just to update this thread. It took four emails but MM finally replied to me. Said that they we have problems with the website. You guys were right the are going to replace the pipe. It was their idea to replace the pipe. I was just asking how long they thought the pipe should last.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
TopD, that is a spectacular tribute to Missouri Meerschaum pipes! Like a burst of sunshine. I go along

with the consensus here that MM's in general last indefinitely. When I bought one several years ago, I assumed

it was a temporary pleasure. But it is really just getting started, a nice filtered diplomat, to go along with

an unfiltered patriot.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
I've ordered all of mine through smokingpipes.com and none have come in a blister pack. They've always been shipped in bubble wrap.
Some retailers get them individually wrapped, some get a display with like ten or a dozen on a card, which is probably what SP is doing.
To the OP, sorry you had this happen, but hella glad that MM is standing by you on this!

Jul 12, 2011
I always suggest the hardwood bottom MM cob bowls for

my designs , just to be safe...but I smoked the "@&$#%*?!

out of a Country Gent for over three years before bottom

caved ;-)

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I've yet to see a burnout. There are days I smoke more than 5 bowls in my Mizzou (non-hardwood bottom) let it rest overnight and repeat the next day. I'm wondering how deep the color will go. The top of the pipe is starting to turn a nice golden-brown at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.