PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Just curious to hear how the MM Freehand cob smokes from those that own one. They’re back in stock, and I was thinking about picking up one in natural red as a flake pipe.
Also, any idea why they are cheaper via SP, tobacco pipes, etc? I’m seeing no incentive to buy direct from MM; in fact, it looks like an outright penalty to buy from MM directly (?)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife gave me a MM Freehand with a vulcanite stem, a tall deep conical bowl but light weight for its size. I use it for Semois burley variant, which is dry and burns pretty fast. This is the perfect pipe to slow it down a little and pack plenty for a full-length smoke, but it does well with other blends. It is a natural finish, scratchy in a pleasant way. I like it a lot. My MM's have lasted well over years, decades.

Dec 28, 2015
I have one and I love it. It is great for smoking flakes but it does have a huge bowl. It is so deep that if you completely filled it with flakes I’m not sure how long it would take you to smoke it all. But I highly recommend it. One of my favorite pipes.

codyl

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
I have 4 of them, 2 are older with vulcanite stems and 2 are newer with acrylic stems. They are great smokers! Well worth the money in my opinion!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Be prepared for a very large pipe. Too deep for me for a flake pipe but a great smoker just the same. Have had mine since 2010 and love it.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Got it; thx. Sounds like a good pipe for rubbed out flake or ribbon then. I’ll get a Mark Twain and a forever stem for flake.
I’ve been wanting to round out my briars with some cobs, and there are a few I have in mind (specifically, the MY, CT, and Freehand)
Is there a performance difference between the dark stain and natural finish on the freehand? I.E. do they use plaster of paris on the dark stain version?

Dec 28, 2015
I have two Mark Twain’s (both with forever stems) one bent and one straight. They are the most perfect flake pipes in my opinion. My Freehand is dark stained and I absolutely love it. Smoking it right now in fact. A very cool smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.