Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcobber

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
Sherbrooke Quebec Canada
Corn cob
Hi !
I am a recent pipe smoker and I love it! Been smoking corn cob since the beginning and will only smoke cob!
I got a few questions for you guys
1- Give a 12-24 hours break to my

Cob between smoke. I only smoke 2 bowls a day. Is it enough rest? I always clean my

Pipe with a cleaner after each smoke and clean it with grain alcohol about once

A month.
2- I found that natural pipe smoke cooler than polished with Paris plaster. Is that what you guys are experiencing?
3- I smoke Virginias and blended tobacco in the same pipes, I don’t find nothing wrong with that, what are your thoughts?
4- happy smoking !! :)

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I think perhaps you are being a bit too careful with your cob

Cobs are meant to be smoked and smoked and Smoked. MM makes imo wonderful pipes and can take a licking and keep on ticking. The more I smoke mine the better it tastes. Enjoy that pipe and don’t be so concerned about different blends and hours between smokes. That’s the beauty of cobs they will never let you down and are made to be your best friend even if that means smoking it 4 times a day with 4 different tobaccos. Those rules are guidelines and are much more directed towards briars.

Keep it lit brother and enjoy

Cheers

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
LOL, Cosmic.
I guess I'm guilty of 'pampering' my cobs: I religiously clean them thoroughly after each smoke and wash the mouthpiece with dish soap and cool water. Then they get to rest for a day. I do this with my briars too, but I'm particularly fastidious with cobs, since they don't have smooth heels and all kinds of gunk can easily build up in those nooks and crannies at the bottom. Of course, I don't do that to pamper the pipe, but because I'm a hygiene freak.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I usually smoke a cob daily, maybe 3 or 4 bowls in between briars. I smoke a lot: 6-12 bowls a day.
Pipe cleaners between smokes is about all I do. I have enough cobs so they usually see 4 or 5 days rest before I see the same one again. So far, so good. I'm thinking I'll get a year out of them at this rate and level of care.
We have a few members here that smoke only cobs.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’ll wear a cob out. Well, not really, but I’ll take a couple on a ‘burley day’ and rest one while I’m smoking through the other. They get maybe an hour and a half rest each, until I’m through smoking for the day. I scrub the chambers out with a bristled cleaner after each smoke, and the stem out good with a doubled-over bristled cleaner or two maybe every couple of weeks, but have yet to use any alcohol on ‘em. I’ve had some of my cobs since ‘07 when I started and they’re still in rotation to this day. Best part is, I can knock the dottle out against pretty much any hard surface. Don’t need a cork :D
Plaster of paris... I don’t think I’ve heard of that trick but no big. There’s a whole lot I’ve not heard of! I’ll look into it and check it out. I take it you’re coating the outside of the chamber with it? I’ve got some joint compound/drywall mud in the garage somewhere. Does it have to be actual Plaster of paris?

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I got a mm from walgreens was my second pipe purchase it has been through hell and back ive smoked it bowl after bowl all day long only break it got was while i was asleep it has a little rim darkening other than that i notice no other issue still smokes as good as the day i bought it.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Well I did leave it outside overnight on a patio table and the shank expanded from from getting rained on has a little crack but after bringing inside and drying a bit it dosent have any leaks

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Plaster of paris... I don’t think I’ve heard of that trick but no big. There’s a whole lot I’ve not heard of! I’ll look into it and check it out. I take it you’re coating the outside of the chamber with it? I’ve got some joint compound/drywall mud in the garage somewhere. Does it have to be actual Plaster of paris?
I think he may be referring to "pipe mud". Google search will yield lot's of results. Me, personally don't use it but many others do. It probably does extend the life but I view these as throwaways if they wear out.
Pipe Mud youtube
Miracle Mud

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the MM cobs that come with a Vulcanite or acrylic stem, which are usually offered as special series pipes. That way the stem lasts as long as the pipe and doesn't chew through. I regard them as permanent pipes since they can last for decades. Not as long as many briars, but a long time.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
The stem is only thing i dont like about mine the cheap plastic just dont feel as good on my teeth

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Don't rest the cob. They seriously enjoy abuse. I would know. They only do better the more often they are smoked.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
You can stain them too.

JsX09LNl.jpg

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Lightly sanded them first, then applied 2 coats of Fiebings Saddle Tan, then glazed it with Dura Clear High Gloss polyurethane varnish (any Hobby Lobby store).

Status
Not open for further replies.