PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
I've been smoking MM cobs for many years, long before I joined, left, and returned to PM.
I have some Diplomats & Generals, (two of each) I got way back when...smoke wonderfully. However, having bought two new Diplomats and a 'General' recently. As I smoke the new ones, I'm left wondering if MM are getting their stuff made in China. Because these new ones don't smoke that well.
The 'General' is nearly a full half inch shorter than the old ones. After the mod is done with pipe mud, 'a la Canerod piper' the bowl is only just 43mm.
The old General is just on 52mm.
It seems to me the accountant at MM is now directing how the cobs should be made. The motto at MM, IMO, is, 'profit comes first.
Accordingly, I'm looking for another cob maker.
Very disappointing.

Reactions: plains

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a number of MMs - as a matter of fact, I just bought a new Boone a month or so ago. I almost always start my day with burley in a cob.
I can't tell you how old my oldest cobs are, but they probably date back ten years or so. I have not noticed that the new ones smoke less well than the old ones.
Darned good pipes, IMO.

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
Yeah, I know that. I just felt that there was a considerable shrinkage in the size of the latest General I bought. Nearly a full half inch shorter than my other three!

• Haha
Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Its been a while since I smoked a cob, probably around a year maybe. I hadn't noticed anything then. But I do know MM bought the only other corn cob pipe company around, Old Dominion.

Have you looked for customs cobs? There could be some older hidden gems lurking around unsmoked. And they don't all have to be purple or green!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've been smoking MM cobs for many years, long before I joined, left, and returned to PM.
As I smoke the new ones, I'm left wondering if MM are getting their stuff made in China. Because these new ones don't smoke that well.

The motto at MM, IMO, is, 'profit comes first.
Very disappointing.
”Don’t smoke that well” isn’t exactly a specific issue MM can do anything about. And I’m not sure it’s that unusual for pipe styles to change over time.

Just so you don’t get penalized, I’d encourage you to review the forum rules regarding posting complaints against companies; there is an expectation that posters will try to sort out any issues with the company itself before posting here. But unless I’m missing something, it doesn’t sound like you are pointing out any addressable issues.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have some Diplomats & Generals, (two of each) I got way back when...smoke wonderfully. However, having bought two new Diplomats and a 'General' recently. As I smoke the new ones, I'm left wondering if MM are getting their stuff made in China. Because these new ones don't smoke that well.
The 'General' is nearly a full half inch shorter than the old ones. After the mod is done with pipe mud, 'a la Canerod piper' the bowl is only just 43mm.
The old General is just on 52mm.
It seems to me the accountant at MM is now directing how the cobs should be made. The motto at MM, IMO, is, 'profit comes first.
Very disappointing.

The pipes made today at MM are from corn cobs harvested in the fall of 2020, and aged since then in the attic of the factory.

The very largest are set aside for Freehands, which I’ve noticed are also running a little smaller.

The Mac is made from a cob that will make two Generals.

Diplomats and Country Gentleman also require large cobs.

What I think is happening is there are more orders for the larger, $15 grade pipes than the little ones.

They are still a bargain, I think.

$12 Country Gentleman

E6DCDDF8-B111-47B6-905F-DDD64E8867C8.jpeg

$16 General

DAAFA446-36A3-41D5-B22A-A1E55B15542F.jpeg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, I know that. I just felt that there was a considerable shrinkage in the size of the latest General I bought. Nearly a full half inch shorter than my other three!
Is it smaller than advertised? Or do the new ones meet the advertised specifications? I'm guessing they do which means you really don't have a valid complaint. In other words, MM has simply changed their specifications. They aren't short changing you on the product. Big difference.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
A few thoughts

1. Its corn, it grows how it grows. I don't think the "accountants" are telling the cobs to grow a certain way to cut cost. There is no cost savings by cutting .5" off of a General, thats just how long that cob was. It's not like they can take that off cut and make another pipe out of it.

2. Mo Meer is the only game in town, there are no other cob pipe makers.

3. Your complaining about the quality of the absolute cheapest smokable pipe on the planet? What exactly are your expectations of a pipe that costs less than $20?

Maybe try Briar or Meerschaum...🤷‍♂️

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the past several years, I have bought the special edition pipes that come with acrylic stems, since I tend to chew up the softer plastic ones and I enjoy not having to replace stems. All of these pipes have had ample chambers and are not undersized in any way. The nose warmers are nose warmers, but that is as advertised.

My older MM cobs I long ago fitted with Forever stems in acrylic.

If you are dubious about MM cobs, I also recommend their hardwood pipes which cost little and smoke well. They look like Danish modern furniture in influence, elegant simplicity.