PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I know the MM vulcanite isn't really great quality, but how can I straighten a side-bent stem on an MM Cobbit Dwarf I bought recently?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Peyronie's Disease ?? rotf

I haven't tried this myself, but heating up the WHOLE stem with a heat gun until it's soft, then straighten and set under cold water.

Much cheaper than a urologist

Reactions: nathaniel

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I was under the impression it was vulcanite. it's softer than all my other vulcanite stems, and same as all my other MM's. I thought it was just black plasticish cheapo vulcanite. I've never had an acrylic stem, but thought they were harder than vulcanite.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was under the impression it was vulcanite. it's softer than all my other vulcanite stems, and same as all my other MM's. I thought it was just black plasticish cheapo vulcanite. I've never had an acrylic stem, but thought they were harder than vulcanite.
Rub it with your thumb until the stem is warm. If it smell like hot rubber, it's vulcanite.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I know the MM vulcanite isn't really great quality, but how can I straighten a side-bent stem on an MM Cobbit Dwarf I bought recently?
Boil some water and hold it over the steam for a few seconds ... that should heat it enough to correct the bend then run under cold water while holding it in place. A Heat gun is o.k. but the water is quicker and safer.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Boil some water and hold it over the steam for a few seconds ... that should heat it enough to correct the bend then run under cold water while holding it in place. A Heat gun is o.k. but the water is quicker and safer.
Yes if it's acrylic, I put the whole stem into the boiling water for about 5 minutes. Then bend on the edge of the rounded counter. However the term "side bent" was used and I'm not really sure what that means.