PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Most of their lives were spent, as kids, playing a kids' game. Well, until they signed deals to play minor league or college ball. So, they have been well paid for basically risking nothing. Oh sure one fatality I know of and some concussions, torn muscles and the like. But, they know the risk-reward and, like smokers, chose the "game.". For most, the rewards are few. For more than a few the rewards are phenomenal. I don't begrudge the money they make but, the ones risking moneys are the owners. So, the moneys should mostly, and justly, go to those taking the financial risk, shareholders and individual owners.
I don’t think a homeowner would pay me a million dollars to mow his/her lawn unless they made WAAAAY more than a million dollars. I think the same applies to team owners

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don’t think a homeowner would pay me a million dollars to mow his/her lawn unless they made WAAAAY more than a million dollars. I think the same applies to team owners
I'm not seeing the correlation. Lots of kids will mow lawns competently for a twenty. Not as many as in the past of course. Not that many ball players of real quality, witness today's game, qualify for the bigs. Also, how many people are willing to spend a week or more wages dragging the wife and kids over to the neighbor's, pay outrageous prices for beer and red hots to watch you push a mower around. And, could you get the taxpayers to build a stadium around your neighbor's yard to accommodate the a nonexistent fan base. You are conflating the debate. rotf

Reactions: jpmcwjr

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I’m saying the owners wouldn’t be paying that kind of money if they were not making plenty for themselves. Doesn’t matter if you think the players aren’t worth it or it’s not worth the cost of taking your family or if they mooch taxpayer money. They pay players huge amounts of money because they make huge amounts of money. It’s a direct relationship. What 2 ideas is that putting together?

Last edited: