Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 20, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Hi. I recently was gifted about 40oz of mixture no 79. It was all still sealed but not sure how old it was. I was wondering how dry it is meant to be. It seems a lot drier than other aromatics I have tried. It isn't crunchy or crispy just drier than my other tobaccos. I was hoping if someone could tell me if this is normal for that type of tobacco or would I have to rehydrate it. Any info much appreciated.

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The fact that it will dry out at all is a good omen. I have a small part of a small jar of Lane 1-Q that is as wet as can be after years. It still doesn't burn evenly. However, I like Mixture No. 79. One of the members here who is something of an influencer on Forums campaigned for the blend about five years ago and revived it from a joke blend to merely polarizing, so I tried it and found it quite good. It has anisette flavoring, but is tobacco-forward to me, relatively mild, a good casual smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The fact that it will dry out at all is a good omen. I have a small part of a small jar of Lane 1-Q that is as wet as can be after years. It still doesn't burn evenly. <<Snipped bits out >>
Tom-

I've found that blends heavily doused with humectants will feel wet, but may not be.

Too bad no one can actually measure the moisture content!

Reactions: The Irish Piper