PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I bought one pouch about 6 years ago, I still have 95% of the pouch left. It didn’t really do much for me but I didn’t hate it. I can totally see how some people would love it. Had a sarsaparilla/root beer type flavor to it, if I’m remembering it correctly, and of course I remember it having a lot of licorice. I actually like licorice on a tobacco blend if it is very lightly applied, it can pair quite well with tobacco. I remember it not having much nicotine and that was probably the main reason for not revisiting it, though, I will again someday when the mood strikes.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It’s just not that interesting. And there is no nicotine. So lump it with xxxxx number of ‘Murican blends....just nothing going on.
Yes, this was pretty much my take on it. Don’t get why it’s so polarizing because to me, it’s just a typical American OTC.

That being said, I just bought a 7oz tub of Granger and I just can’t understand the praise this one has been getting either. It’s a low, almost no nicotine aromatic OTC Burley… is it going to grow on me? I guess we’ll see, I have to try to make it through this tub. @Grangerous, @ashdigger, I really wanted to like this one too. More for you guys, I guess. But Ashdigger is the one that really put my sights on this one, I know he’s had just about every amazing tobacco on the face of the planet (well aged blends too), yet he’s always praising Granger. Who knows, maybe by the time I finish this tub, I’ll be singing a different tune. It wouldn’t be the first time, I may just add some Brown Bogie to add some body and nicotine to it.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Yes, this was pretty much my take on it. Don’t get why it’s so polarizing because to me, it’s just a typical American OTC.

That being said, I just bought a 7oz tub of Granger and I just can’t understand the praise this one has been getting either. It’s a low, almost no nicotine aromatic OTC Burley… is it going to grow on me? I guess we’ll see, I have to try to make it through this tub. @Grangerous, @ashdigger, I really wanted to like this one too. More for you guys, I guess. But Ashdigger is the one that really put my sights on this one, I know he’s had just about every amazing tobacco on the face of the planet (well aged blends too), yet he’s always praising Granger. Who knows, maybe by the time I finish this tub, I’ll be singing a different tune. It wouldn’t be the first time, I may just add some Brown Bogie to add some body and nicotine to it.
I like Granger as a pack and go. Drive and mindlessly load and smoke.

Having said that. Granger fresh is dogshit. I was first tuned onto good Granger from a few tins that were dated to the 60’s. I’m fortunate, I don’t smoke Granger that’s less than five years old.

The secret sauce ages well, then I dry it.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
How close is 79 compared to the old Field&Stream tase wise?
I have a good amount of both, and I really like both. Field & Stream is just a toned down Mixture # 79. The cut is the same the taste is the same but like I said, F&S match is just a lighter M79. The only difference in appearance is F&S doesn't have all that sauce on it to where M79 is stickier

Reactions: mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Mixture 79 had a dominant floral quality. It used to have musk in but was reformulated after the FDA disallowed it. Consequently, it tastes more of anise than anything else these days. I think Peretti's No Name is a better facsimile of old M79 than new M79. Actually, I think No Name is better than old M79 as the component tobacco seems to be of a higher quality.

The old House of Windsor Field & Stream also had a floral aspect but it was different. If M79 was Aunt Betty, F&S was Aunt Edith. The Sutliff Match is not close.

Reactions: hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I like Granger as a pack and go. Drive and mindlessly load and smoke.

Having said that. Granger fresh is dogshit. I was first tuned onto good Granger from a few tins that were dated to the 60’s. I’m fortunate, I don’t smoke Granger that’s less than five years old.

The secret sauce ages well, then I dry it.
Okay, this is good info. I will jar it up and forget about it. Thanks for the tip!

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I've tried all of the "OTC" blends and settled on SWR, SWRA, EGR, Granger and LLRR. M79 was ok but not a blend I felt I wanted to stock up on. I did however perfer it over H&H and PA. These are my personal tastes though and are not meant to dissuade any one from liking what they think is good. I say buy a pouch of all of these great old blends and see what spesks to you.