PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I got an open tin of Meridian and an open tin of Abingdon. Two amazing Balkans and one 6 oz jar. So to save space dump them together. Who else does that? I do not see any reason why you wouldn't if they taste basically the same.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
It's your tobacco and if you want to blend them together, it should be no issue. I have a tub that I throw any remaining tobacco from tins into when there is not enough left for a full pipe. There is about two pounds of tobacco in it that has accumulated over time. The blend is constantly changing. Sometimes the blend is awesome, sometimes not so much. But it is always an interesting smoke. We all have certain nuances in the way that we handle tobacco, whether it be how we pack a pipe, light the tobacco, or store tobacco. No one way is the absolute written law on how it should be done. What works for one person may no work for another. But at the end of the day, as long as you are happy, that's what really matters.

Reactions: argmooner

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Sometimes two blends taste the same but when a palate chages (and it surely does sooner or later) they suddenly become different. That's why I never put similar blends in the same jar. If it works for you that's the way you should do it. A limited space can sometimes indeed be problematic.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Do not mix your blends like that. Kevin will revoke your pipesmoker's card.

Years ago, he suspended my card for 6 months following a similar, but less serious infraction.

It turned out to be a costly mistake (I had to pay my own bowling shoe rental fees for a while). :crying:

I'll never do that again!

You don’t have enough space for 2 jars? Where the hell do you live? In a tuna can?

Otherwise, do what you like. I will sometimes mix things, but rarely will I mix Latakia blends, as those complex components can create such differen flavors when mixed. Sometimes a dash of a Turkish can create a whole new incense like aroma, yet when a little more of this or that is added, it might turn into a farty aroma. I feel more comfortable mixing things with less components.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I sympathize with the tendency to save a little space and consolidate jars. However, these blends are rigorously and artfully done, and usually they won't be improved by dumping them together. I do my mixing in a separate ceramic bowl, maybe a few pipe bowls at a time, and I try to keep the flavor tweaks simple, adding a single-leaf condiment or two to a single-leaf base, or to a blend. I would on occasion do as you have done, taking two Balkans or similar blends and putting them together, but only a few bowls worth, not a whole jar, so if it is simply harsh, muddy, or otherwise bad, I won't have a whole jar full. I try to do mixing thoughtfully and with some restraint, and have had some pleasing results. The dump-it-altogether approach I have more often found nasty.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
I’ve got a jar with some rope in it and a couple of fakes along with a chunk of plug. Pure lazy. All still tastes like it should but it’s not long term storage or ribbon, shag, or rr.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’ll mix a few bowls at a time of something. I wouldn’t combine as much as you did, but you may like it. Everybody tastes things differently.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I've been know to "blend" an areo with Va more to tame the areo than to save space. Many times the results are good but that is according to your taste.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
On the opposite, custom made mixtures will actually work better. It is like saying here is your steak and we put two drops of hot sauce, no more no less. It is perfect with just two drops. I think I know better how spicy or bland I like my steak.
One thing I discovered is that 70% Mississippi River and 30% Old dark fired may be the perfect tobacco for me. Experimenting is good, really it is. You may discover the combination that is perfect just for you.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It's your tobacco to do with as you please. I personally don't like to mix balkan style blends. I only mix when I think there will be a benefit, not because I have one jar. I am sure that I have missed opportunities somewhere along the way, though, too.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
So to save space dump them together. Who else does that?
I had an old, opened tin of Dunhill Flake, Mac Baren Navy Flake, and SW Full Virginia Flake that I combined into one jar.
Not my normal practice, but in this circumstance it made sense given the small amount of volume remaining in each tin.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m intrigued, yet somehow deeply disturbed by the thought of these huge jars full of dozens of different types of leftover tobaccos all thrown together that people so often talk about. I can’t imagine what a casserole of nonsense that must be, and I don’t know if I’ll ever be brave enough to try it myself. But for you brave pioneers smoking into the unknown, god bless you. You guys are the Chuck Yeager’s of pipe smoking.

Reactions: drayve85
Status
Not open for further replies.