PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
As I am reading and learning more questions keep coming up.

I have four pipes that I rotate. I have read that you don't need to dedicate pipes

"except for Latakia, otherwise everything will taste Latakia".

In a recent FS-add the (very nice) pipes were "smoked twice, no aromatics!"

I have several tins of aromatics and I am going to buy some MB old dark fired and some VaPer.

What tobaccos are ok to mix and which should be kept separate?

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I wouldn't really worry about ghosting to much while you are starting out. Personally, I tend to use whatever pipe with whatever tobacco, with the exception of English/Balkan blends which have a dedicated pipe. But it's not so much the ghosting factor, it's more that one of my pipes smoke those blends better than the other, but I have and do use all my pipes for whatever blend if the mood strikes. The only exception to this care free approach is very heavy aromatics, like cherry, which I tend to usually smoke in it's own pipe, and I have a single dedicated pipe that 90 percent of the time only smokes non areo Va blends. But even then sometimes I like to switch it up and sometimes it's a pleasant surprise to smoke a non aero that has a hint of a ghost of something else with it.... But if you want the common wisdom, alot of folks will tell you to dedicate a pipe for each blend type.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
A pipe regularly smoked with aromatics will definitely make other tobaccos taste "off." And you'll probably want to dedicate certain pipes to Latakia blends. But VAs, burleys and Kentucky dark fired generally play well together.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I'm with nunnster. I smoke whatever sounds good in whatever pipe sounds good at that moment.
I guess my palate isn't as sensitive. I never notice whatever may have been smoked previously in that particular pipe.
I do like smoking my codger blends in a cob however. Cobs just seem better suited for smoking Carter Hall, Prince Albert, etc..... for some reason.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My own experience is there is benefit to dedicating a pipe to a specific genre of tobacco. If I smoke Virginia in a pipe I've smoked VaPer in, I will taste the spice from the Perique. I don't understand spending money on quality tobacco only to turn around and mask the flavors by smoking it in a pipe that's not dedicated. To me, that's like asking for A1 sauce at a fine steak House or mixing Pappys with coke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been dedicating pipes for a long time now and I cannot imagine not doing it. I pay good money for my tobacco and I want every possible chance for it to taste great and dedicating does that. I dedicate in genres and I also have a number of one blend one pipe.
I dedicate in the following genres.

Virginia

Virginia/Perique

Virginia/Burley/Kentucky

Aromatics

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Thanks!

As I am so new I can't make out the nuances anyway so it doesn't really matter

but I shall get some different tobacco genres so I can start to think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.