PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I received both of these in bulk from another fine member of this forum and finally found time to try them out. After reading that the Brown No. 4 is pretty strong stuff, I decided to heed a recommendation to mix with another blend. No real science here - just mixed the two equally at 50-50 and found Nirvana! Each tobacco has it's own wonderful aroma, with the Balkan offering up lots of smokiness and deep, dark earthiness. The Brown rope showed an enticing sweet Virginia aroma that was amazing. Together, they proved to be the smoothest and well behaved smoke I've had to date. Despite the bold smoky aroma, the first part of the bowl was Virginia all the way with a tangy sweetness coming through. Never had this much of an obvious, strong Virginia taste in a blend. Took to the light right off and burned well, with very little need to re-light. First half of the bowl smelled of the smoky Latakia, but the flavor was bold, sweet, smooth Virginia. Did say this mix is smooth - no bite, no rough edges at all. Around mid-bowl, the Latakia was playing peek-a-boo, coming in and out. Something more showed through - the Dark Fired??? I would almost bet that there was a bit of Orientals there, but not sure. Very complex mix. Toward the end, I made the mistake of drawing a little too hard and found what jiminks described as a slight bitterness due to overheating. Strictly my fault, as up tho this point, this mix was silky smooth and rather cool smoking. I unknowingly stumbled upon this gem and will be sure to repeat!
Funny sidenote; My wife came in when I was cutting the brown rope and commented that she thought we had already taken the dogs out for the evening! rotf

Reactions: mingc
Status
Not open for further replies.