PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesofsteele

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
Western Washington
Hey gents, I'm thinking about getting the MM general bent for a longer smoke. I'll be doing a lot of manual labor and building over the summer. If you have experience with one, what do you think? How long of a smoke do you generally get out of it? Seems like it would hold a decently long smoke. Let me know! :puffy:

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've got 4 MM Generals but I only smoke them while watching TV. I'm a clencher and I find them too heavy. They do provide a long smoke, but that all depends on the blend your smoking. I much prefer the Country Gentleman or the Natural Pride while working around the house.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Do they make a naked version of the General? That would be lighter. I have the Free Hand and its huge.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Nekked cobs rule! If you're going to smoke a cob, nothing is more breathable and the surprise is that the weight between say, a Legend (finished) and a Pride (nekked) is readily apparent.

For comfortable clenching, the Missouri Pride and the Morgan in nekked finish are tough to beat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For smoking while working, I think a medium-size pipe would be best, nekked is good, the lighter the better. You could keep the General or a Freehand around for breaks, or after work, when time permits. The medium pipe would also let you shift blends, which might be a satisfying change. I have a nekked freehand MM with an arcylic stem that came on it, a very large bowl and not a heavy pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can order the unfinished Generals directly from MM. I have one, and they are incredibly light.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
For a light clencher, that has a bigger bowl, try the new MM Dagner Poker cob. I pack mine and enjoy for almost an hour a bowl. The stem is first rate and with the open draw, you get an easy smoking sipper right out of the gate.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I have an MM General. I get a good hour's smoke from almost any blend, longer for flakes. Because of the tall, narrow chamber, I find it does well with flakes and VA blends.

pipesofsteele

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
Western Washington
rolldog - I'll definitely look into that! I just saw that pipe the other day and looks fantastic! :D

danhester - glad to hear it does well with VA blends, I'm turning into a real VA fanatic. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.