PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Hello all, my wife bought me a set of the MM MacArthur pipes as a surprise. She mistakenly ordered the natural or raw cob finish which I absolutely detest not matter how much I feigned my excitement when I unwrapped them in my sweet darlings presence. I'm talking Clark Fable didn't have shit on my performance but I digress. Is there any way to plaster of Paris these ungainly pipes now or sand them smooth? Any custom cob workers that do this type of work? Honestly I'd throw them away but I know 6 years from now she will say "Hey I want to see those 2 pipes I bought you that one time." and you know the rest...

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Well, they dissipate heat better.?‍♂️ Most of the ones I used to smoke were unfinished and the reverse calabash would have been as well if it was available as such. MM uses plain plaster of Paris and a water based lacquer for the finish.
Unfinished I could handle as long as it was smooth. These things are like handling brillo pads lol. Like a raw corn cob you played with as a kid on the farm type of deal lol.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a freehand in the natural finish and I like the slightly prickly feel. It kind of wakes up my hands. Besides, it holds a heap of burley leaf. But as noted in preceding posts, it will wear down to a smoother feel as time goes by