PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I put down my briars and took up two new entries into my collection today. A short straight and slightly longer bent, genuine Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs. I have been hearing about all the wonderful flavor and cool smoking that is afforded through these little pipes and thought I would find out for myself.
Folks, I was not disappointed by either one. I started with the bent in the late afternoon, filling it with Sutliff Maple Street. Now 'filling' is not a generous thing, with a bowl diameter of 5/8" and depth of 1 1/4", this is not a massive bowl. However, the flavor comes on right away and sweetens near the bottom. Almost like a flavor timer, when you get a hint of sweet corn, you know you are almost done. Something I smiled at with the first smoke, but repeated with the second.
The shorter straight, I stayed with something sweet, packing in Sutliff Molto Dolce. Since it was after dinner, I smiled as I thought of it as a low calorie dessert. Yes, it crackled and needed more that one relight (unlike the Maple Street), but the flavor was so much more pronounced than in my briar. To be fair, I am still a relatively new pipe smoker and my technique with Molto Dolce will need to be honed in a briar, but none of that is needed with a cob.
If you have not tried a cob, I highly recommend it and at the price of a Starbuck's cup of coffee, you are not taking a large financial risk. Not a coffee drinker, then how about for less 2 gallons of gas (at least here in Michigan).
If you have tried a cob, or have been doing so for years, I would love to hear your experiences. I know I am hooked. I am not giving up my beautiful briars, but I also know what I can tuck into any pocket and enjoy a quick bowl just about anywhere I go, even if it is just to my favorite chair.
Cheers.
RD

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Glad you enjoyed it!
My favorite MM is the "Country Gentleman". It has a nice size and shape and smokes great.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I find certain burly and aromatic blends smoke far better in a cob, I think it has something to do with the immense draw on these pipes. If you really wanna go different, buy an 8" corn cob stem from Walker Briar Works, fits any filtered MM cob; makes an instant churchwarden, about 11" long.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I was given a Country Gentleman by my #2 son ...
Smoking it has convinced me that it's actually a pretty damn good pipe ... I'll be picking up a couple of more at some point in the near future ...

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Whenever I'm in a high clenching needed situation I always grab my mm. Great pipes.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have a Diplomat, Country Gentleman, and Danish Egg. All with Walker's Forever Stems. Everyone of them is a great smoke.
When two friends of mine retired, I gave them each a Legend with Captain Black tobacco. Both of them say that they perfer their "cobs" to anything else they have.

love2smoke

Lurker
Jan 1, 2014
I just picked up a Missouri pride bent yesterday. Gonna give it a try this weekend when the temp comes up a bit, currently -27 Celsius, brrrrr

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Yep, I've got several MM cobs, and love them all! I find that burleys really shine in cobs, especially the old codger blends like Carter Hall and Sugar Barrel. You can't go wrong with an MM cob!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought my MM cobs during the drought when the cobs were a shade smaller, but they turn out to

be plenty big enough. I also equipped them with the Walker Forever Stems, which give up the filter

feature but give the cobs the feel of the finest briar pipes. They smoke cool, light, and thoroughly,

and showcase almost any tobacco. For the few Forums members who may not have gone the MM

cob route, I highly recommend it for the New Year. It's a grand tradition.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I have some Diplomat Cobs, a Maple and a 5th Av with the forever stems. I like the nose warmer Vulcanite stem on my cobs the best. It brings the length down and makes it overall very comfortable to hold and clench. The only drawback to the pipes are the first couple smokes. Charring that stem inside tastes like sh*t. Although when I smoked some Wall-Hall in the 5th Av I didn't mind it. In fact it added to the smoke.

20131123_131159.jpg

20131217_151052.jpg

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I smoke my briars and my Missouri Meerschaum every day. The MMs give a fine, sweet taste, require no breaking in, and always deliver a cool, dry smoke. At the price they can't be beat. And now, I've added a couple of Old Dominion cobs to the herd. Life doesn't get any better than this.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Despite being my travel pipes/beaters/working-outside pipes, I've yet to either burn one out, break one, lose one, OR have a bad smoke from one. Favorites are the Diplomat and the Pride. The Pride especially, since it's like clenching a feather.
Cobs for life! (Not to disparage my briars, but I tend to find myself in situations with a cob in my hands more often than not. Don't tell my briars!)
:puffy:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I recently gave a Legend to a guy I introduced to piping a year or so ago. He thought cobs were a joke ... until he finally tried one. Now he hardly touches his briars!

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I love them and always pack a cob to smoke on my way to work, then finish that bowl on my lunch break. The corn taste does go away after a few bowls, but they smoke cool and dry, and are very light weight. Like others I love my briar, but cobs will always have there special place also.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I smoke cobs all day long and love them. I have a rotation of Country Gents that I smoke during the day, usually switching to briars in the evening. I agree with Eric that cobs and burley seem made for each other. Also another +1 for Forever Stems.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Myself I'm really partial to a cob full of Virginias and perique with a morning cup of coffee. I still like the unfinished ones the best.
And for some reason I don't care for English tobacco in a cob. It tastes better in briar for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.