Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs.. Just Do It!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Some may not agree, but I think every pipe smoker should have a few. Buy only Missouri Meerschaums and stay away from those cheap Chinese cobs.
I just picked up 2 today because of this thread. That make 4 total for me. :) Thanks for this post and those pictures lifeon2. Really impressive.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
just placed my order to build my "Cobwarden" >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321068210495
I hope you did see in the description that these stems are not polished yet.
I had the seller polish mine for a few extra $$$ His price is great on them unpolished, I just don't feel like doing it myself.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I hope you did see in the description that these stems are not polished yet.
I had the seller polish mine for a few extra $$$ His price is great on them unpolished, I just don't feel like doing it myself.
yeah, i figured I would give it a shot myself :roll:

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I bought a MM grab bag a while ago and was very impressed with the quality of the so-called seconds. I mudded mine as per a thread I read here and have smoked some of them with no mercy as my work truck pipes. I have also given a few away to aspiring pipers after I gave them a quick primer on pipe smoking. I think its time for another grab bag as I'm down to my last few.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
mm diplomat is my fav. have one i been smoking close to 3 years now.
i abuse and neglect it but it never fails to perform...

extrasample

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
I am waiting for four legends on order that will make five total. I enjoyed some whiskey borum riff (suprised myself!) and will continue to pair this up with the cob. It really good combo if your avoiding that package of borum riff based on reviews perhaps cob will make it all good.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Been a cobber for many years! Have some quite old ones I continually smoke too.
8505209544_67d1f339ef_b.jpg

8524642628_26b1b651b5.jpg

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
No they do not. There are the two styles of cobs, filtered, and non-filtered. They cut the tenons for type needed. The ebay seller has the same type stems and gets them from the same supplier as the forever stems if I'm not mistaken. Only difference is the little inlay dot and price.
I "think" they can be cut to fit any size you need if you have a pipe that needs a replacement stem.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
OK - Thanks, I have an Ozark Mountain Hardwood Pipe that I've been testing some new tobacco in and I didnt realize it was filtered. Its only OK to smoke. Then when I took the filter out, it was amazing. Like REALLY amazing. I guess I'll have to see at each of them before i order.

intrepid721

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2013
Thornton, Colorado
I just got my grab bag of seconds along with a Patriot and General on Saturday and have only touched one of my briars since. You're correct in stating they are great smokers and they do have a simple elegance about them. My stems should be arriving today or tomorrow and I am up every five minutes checking to see if the mail has arrived yet. I still love my briars, don't get me wrong, but I'm of the opinion you can't go wrong with a cob should you so choose. The grab bag is the best deal going if you were to ask me, 10 pipes for $30 and shipping, I should be set for a good long time. Cheers! :puffy:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I love my cobs. I have a bent General, a 5th Ave and a bent Diplomat. They're all great smokers. Can't go wrong with a cob. Thinking about picking up a grab bag of seconds to have on hand for my friends to use when they're over.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Very nice cobs guys, I own several for my aromatics, I smoke all my English and VA in briars. I prefer to dedicate my aros specifically to a single cob, which seems to work really well. Aros tend to be really finicky and really dislike being smoked in pipes that others have been smoked from. English and VA don't seem to care as much.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Well my own thread got to me! After seeing all your enthusiastic replies I just ordered 5 more MM Cobs. I figured I would round out my collection, and for less than 50 bucks how can you go wrong!!!
SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!
Love all the pictures of the cobs on this thread. I especially love that custom grade presentation set Lifeon2 posted. If I saw this set on their web site I would buy it in a heartbeat!

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I ran across this thread while doing an unrelated Google search. I'd like to add something for any of the new smokers
Follow the thread title for your first pipe. When I started pipe smoking in '91 or '92, I had the income to afford mid-high pipes and that is all I smoked (except for a La Rocca Lumberman given as a gift, which I still own) believing the higher price of the pipe was a better smoke.
Let me state this fact. Not true! The last 6 months I have really been enjoying the cobs. They smoke like a dream, especially when fitted with a "forever" stem, and will not break the bank. If you find that pipe smoking isn't your thing, then you're only out a minimal expenditure.
Like the title says.... Just do it!
PS

Sorry for the bump. This site has too many quality threads to stay buried.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I love my MMs, but I don't spend any money gussying them up with fancy stems, etc. They're great as they are, and if I happen to lose one, I'm not out big bucks. By the way, in your search for corn cob perfection, don't overlook Old Dominion cobs. They're made from a different variety of corn, and they taste truly magnificent!

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
My first pipe was a cob and it's still active in my rotation today. My country gentleman is one of my favorite pipes and it's hard not to want to smoke it bowl after bowl. I do plan on picking up a bag of seconds some time soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.