PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I must say that I was surprised that my favorite pipe company also put their name on a few blends of pipe tobacco. Upon seeing it I knew I HAD to try them, in a cob of course (though they taste okay in briar too). This blend is American Patriot, it is classed as an "American English". I'm not sure what exactly that is supposed to mean but let us explore it in more detail.

Some retailers have classified this as an aromatic, and it does have a bourbon topping (which I found delightful and I don't normally smoke aromatics at all) while others say it has no flavoring. Leaf used Black Cavendish, Virginia, Burley and Orientals (Turkish Smyrna) and Latakia.

Cut is ribbon. Upon opening the pouch for the first time one instantly smells the bourbon topping and the latakia. The tobacco is moist and seems to need to dry a little. I often dry it about ten minutes prior to smoking (unless I'm at work--when I stuff and puff so it is dry enough without being too moist without drying, I just prefer it slightly drier, makes the bourbon pop more IMO).

Throughout the bowl one definitely tastes the latakia, I am unsure what the percentage is but there is enough latakia to make it taste "English-y" without overpowering the other flavors. I get a hint of spice, probably the Smyrna. Sweet and slightly citrusy Virginia with a hint of bourbon and burly rounds out the base notes without being too earthy or nutty.

This tobacco burns to me to a salt and pepper grey ash if not dried and an almost white ash if dried. I find myself reaching for this pouch often throughout the day (almost as much as I do for the Amphora English) and while not my first smoke, it is often my second or third. If one likes English blends, and I do, this could easily be an all day smoke.

I give this a solid 4.5 out of 5. Only draw back is I can't seem to be able to order this in bulk. It would be awesome to be able to order a pound or two instead of having to get a dozen or more little pouches.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I like most of MM blends. I'm not a big fan of Great Dane. American Patriot, Miss. Pride and Country Gentleman are good blends IMHO. Russ did a fine job for MM. Prices have gone up lately and I am glad I stocked up during sales when prices were lower. I usually smoke AP on patriotic holidays and Independence day on you guessed it, Independence day.

Reactions: ChippewaAce

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I like most of MM blends. I'm not a big fan of Great Dane. American Patriot, Miss. Pride and Country Gentleman are good blends IMHO. Russ did a fine job for MM. Prices have gone up lately and I am glad I stocked up during sales when prices were lower. I usually smoke AP on patriotic holidays and Independence day on you guessed it, Independence day.

I haven't tried Great Dane so I can't comment on it. Missouri Pride and Country Gentleman I find myself smoking fairly frequently. I find that both smoke quite well out of the pipes that carry the same name; I am unsure if that is merely psychological though.

Reactions: FurCoat