Missouri Meerschaum 150th Year Anniversary, Can We Expect Something Special?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I agree 110%! I plan on saving a good chunk of my PAD budget this year for whatever they come up with! I'm sad I missed out on the reverse calabash pipe, but who knows what they'll come up with. Maybe they'd come back out with the bulldog. That was a great looking pipe!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It doesn't matter what kind of pipe they create, I won't be fast enough to buy one! #Embers....
The reverse calabash cobs were in stock for two weeks. :mrgreen:

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
From the MM Facebook page,
As you all probably know, we are hosting our 150th Anniversary this year, both in April and in October! For our event in April (12-13),we will have tours both days at the factory for those aged 10 and older, from 9am - 2pm, running every 20 minutes, free of charge! On April 13th we will have historical items for your viewing pleasure, games, live music and so much more! We will also have food and drink for purchase at the Farmer's Market along with awesome Missouri Meerschaum merchandise. Keep tuned for more info, we look forward to seeing all of you at this once in a lifetime event!

If you need a place to rest your head, check out this site for some fantastic places to stay: https://www.visitwashmo.com/stay.html or, call us for advice. We're always happy to hear from you!

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Sorry I'm late, but I wanted to chime in on the definition of "Yankee".
I'm originally from the Washington D.C. area, where "Yankee" meant someone from north of the Mason-Dixon Line (the border between North and South during the Civil War and the MD/PA border).
Here in Louisiana, it seems like "Yankee" refers to anyone from anywhere north of Shreveport. Then again, a lot of people (including the few who called me a Yankee to my face) thought that Washington D.C. is up in the far NW corner next to Canada. They also thought Maryland was somewhere around either Michigan or Massachusetts, probably because they all start with an M. My mention of the Mason-Dixon Line drew blank stares and slack jaws, as did my mention of the fact that MD was one of the original 13 colonies.

Reactions: vates

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Sorry I'm late, but I wanted to chime in on the definition of "Yankee".
I'm originally from the Washington D.C. area, where "Yankee" meant someone from north of the Mason-Dixon Line (the border between North and South during the Civil War and the MD/PA border).
Here in Louisiana, it seems like "Yankee" refers to anyone from anywhere north of Shreveport. Then again, a lot of people (including the few who called me a Yankee to my face) thought that Washington D.C. is up in the far NW corner next to Canada. They also thought Maryland was somewhere around either Michigan or Massachusetts, probably because they all start with an M. My mention of the Mason-Dixon Line drew blank stares and slack jaws, as did my mention of the fact that MD was one of the original 13 colonies.

"To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast."

E.B. White

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Actually, once you cross the St Marys River, from GA to FL, you are no longer in a southern state. So many people have moved to the warm climate that the state is more northern than the surrounding states.

My family arrived in FL, shortly after the Civil War. We came from the British Isles.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and vates

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Well hey there Pete! Welcome to the forums! I hear it's nice down there, but to echo folinater...the heck are you doing up at almost 4 in the morning?
Yeah, I do realize they call a lot of Americans "yanks" around the world, but gotta be careful when hollerin' at a southern country boy with that one! Here it means north of the Mason-Dixon, but even that line could be pulled down a tad these days. "Yank" in the south is what we call all them northern aggressers, or these days around here they're damn yankees since they keep moving into my state and not going back home! We don't like being tossed in with their lot most of the time, but the pipe folks around here are pretty good eggs, I'd have to admit, so I'll give'em a pass. :lol:
Yes, Sir, I do love my churchwardens and love the way they smoke. I have to keep with the shorter stuff when out and about though, but when I'm at home on the back porch, nothing is finer than my churchwarden stuffed with a little C&D Bayou Night or Nightcap.
I did hear tale of the price of baccy being a little on the pricey side down there and it's a damn shame, it really is! The prices here might be better, but the citizenry can't stand to see another man smoke his pipe. They think my smoke is going to make their babies be born naked or some damn thing. I tell you, it's seemed to get worse, but I have also heard it's getting a little better. My mom bought me some Black Cavendish for Christmas and the clerk told her that more and more young people have been coming in for pipes and pipe tobacco, so who knows how the tide is turning.
Best of luck to you down there and I look forward to seeing more of your posts! Take care and happy smoking! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Referring back to the original post in January, of course Missouri Meerschaum has come out with a bulldog and another poker shape cob as well as an anniversary blend, so all of the speculation has come to fruition. No anniversary pipes here, but I do love the special edition pipes with acrylic stems and I have the Dagner pipe, the Charles Towne pipe and the Carolina Gentleman. Fine little smokers in the anniversary spirit. I was desperate for more pipes, he said ironically.

Reactions: vates

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife is from Missouri, and I went to the last two years of college there, where I met her, though we didn't get married until I was a widower and we were in our sixties. Anyway, she quotes the old saying: Missouri has three major points of pride -- brick making, mules, and corncob pipes. I think Missouri Meerschaum is the highest volume pipe maker in the U.S., and likely the oldest.

Status
Not open for further replies.