PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
It's going to be very similar(because of the open draw/same design) to the cob. I have both and much prefer the cob. The hardwood is still a good smoker once the cake is built up, but those first few smokes are funky. For not much more money just get a used briar pipe from somewhere and try that out.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
It's going to be very similar(because of the open draw/same design) to the cob. I have both and much prefer the cob. The hardwood is still a good smoker once the cake is built up, but those first few smokes are funky. For not much more money just get a used briar pipe from somewhere and try that out.

I'll second that they taste funny at first..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Everyone will have a different recommendation here. Mine would be to get a Dr. Grabow Royalton, a briar pipe. It will get you used to smoking a briar, which is the most used pipe material for good reasons. The Royalton has an acrylic stem which is durable and the best quality stem Dr. Grabow has. And the best part is this will cost you forty bucks and shipping, or less used. I think the Royalton bulldog is the best designed shape in the Royalton series, but that's my taste. For literally a few dollars more, you could get a Rossi, made-by-Savinelli, Vittoria, in a variety of shapes. None of these would be a risk for travel in terms of losing something expensive. Whatever you choose, good luck and good smoking. You can smoke the Dr. Grabow without a filter if you choose; just take it out and leave it out. Maybe try it once just to see what it is, how it smokes. If you want a tighter draw, just buy a regular 6 mm adaptor for a buck or two.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Everyone will have a different recommendation here. Mine would be to get a Dr. Grabow Royalton, a briar pipe. It will get you used to smoking a briar, which is the most used pipe material for good reasons. The Royalton has an acrylic stem which is durable and the best quality stem Dr. Grabow has. And the best part is this will cost you forty bucks and shipping, or less used. I think the Royalton bulldog is the best designed shape in the Royalton series, but that's my taste. For literally a few dollars more, you could get a Rossi, made-by-Savinelli, Vittoria, in a variety of shapes. None of these would be a risk for travel in terms of losing something expensive. Whatever you choose, good luck and good smoking. You can smoke the Dr. Grabow without a filter if you choose; just take it out and leave it out. Maybe try it once just to see what it is, how it smokes. If you want a tighter draw, just buy a regular 6 mm adaptor for a buck or two.
good advice here. I too would go for a cheap briar over a MM hardwood.

Reactions: anotherbob

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Sure, I believe the MM Hardwoods are made from Rock Maple. I like how Maple smokes. And Brigham pipes use Rock Maple as a filter, gives a pleasant flavor.

First several smokes in a hardwood you should wet the chamber to avoid burning. Damp not soaked. And follow a typical break in procedure until it builds some cake.

I have a number of hardwood pipes that I’ve either purchased or made. I don’t have any issues or fault them over a Briar pipe...

Good luck!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hardwoods are OK pipes. I've two and although I don't smoke them regularly they are neat pipes for a quick smoke. The only problem with them is their chambers are varnished, so the first smokes will taste rather chemical. They take a balsa filter, which is another plus.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
They're not bad, I use a couple for travel pipes and I have lost a few while on travel. so they are good for that very reason.
Be careful not to smoke them too hot though, at least until they are broke in.
I did use some sandpaper to remove the stain, or lacquer, or what ever it is, from inside the bowl (prior to smoking) though.

Robby

Lurker
Aug 10, 2020
illinois
I doubt you can find a brand new briar for $8, though.

Any briar pipe that cheap is to be avoided: most likely overseas-made junk.
i agree with you there unless they are metal i bet the wood or plastic ones probably have toxic junko in them

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I am a cob thug. I like my cobs. I don't like the MM Ozark Mountain hardwoods. They come in Cherry and Maple *finish*, but they are Birch. They do (or did) make hardwood pipes in Maple, and I believe Cherry, but they are not the Ozark Mountain.

They Ozark Mountains are just OK if you build up a good cake, but they're the only pipe I have burnt out completely.
Smoked one in the wind before I built up a cake and it burnt so much that I was never able to build up that cake even being super careful. It ultimately burnt through the wall.

1597481588422.png

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
My travel pipes are briars I bought from RNAtreasures and finished myself. They go on sale for $5 from time to time and honestly can’t be beat from a value standpoint. That’s coming from a hardcore cob fan.
FAD48B15-252C-46CC-8F5B-FED1DBBFE67C.jpeg

Reactions: canucklehead

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My travel pipes are briars I bought from RNAtreasures and finished myself. They go on sale for $5 from time to time and honestly can’t be beat from a value standpoint. That’s coming from a hardcore cob fan.
View attachment 39703
Agreed. You could even smoke most of them as they are if you didn’t care about finish.

good job on that one!! ?

Reactions: Guppy