PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I just finished a bowl and this stuff and it is so good. I was worried a bit because of the mixed reviews and hearing it can be pretty wet. I cracked my 8oz tin and didn't find it to be wet at all in fact it was dryer than most of the stuff I have been smoking(Klondike Gold, Wessex BCDF and Christmas Cheer). This crumbled up nicely and packed very well. It stayed lit and produced a ton of smoke which I found had a sweetness and a zesty flavor that hit me the right way. I will use the new meer I am getting in about a week for nothing but Missippi River. I can see this as a daily smoke. I like it as much as Klondike Gold and Wessex BCDF and that is saying a lot. I just ordered 4lbs of it from P&C. :P

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ha! I thought you meant the actual river. Yes, it does! Glad the blend lives up to its name.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Good to hear, I'm getting some shortly in a trade with a fellow piper who wanted to try some Anni Kake and McCranie's Red Ribbon.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I'm excited that 4noggins started carrying these spc blends, I'm looking forward to getting this and plum pudding which gets top reviews. Tax time TAD is coming, I think this year i I may go peck style and try to complete a lifetime cellar, except he went more prepper style at 600 pounds.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Mine was on backorder for sometime, I'll need at least another 24oz for the next order.

joshoowah

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
MR is indeed a great blend. SPC's Plum Pudding is equally good, so give that a try if you haven't.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I was just reading up on Plum Pudding and I think I will grab some of that also.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
MR is very good indeed! I always have some on hand as well as Plum Pudding, which I think is fantastic.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I have smoked both and they are both gloriously flavorful blends. I think the tin smell of Mississippi River could bring me back from the dead. Just one more bowl.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
This stuff just get's better and better each month it ages. IMHO perfection in a bowl! :puffy:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Just put up a post about this in another thread. Mississippi River wasn't for me, I found it a bit lacking. I'm a Plum Pudding man myself.
How come there's no love for Seattle Evening? I've never had it, but curious on opinions from those that have.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I also love Plum Pudding a lot but not as much as Mississippi River. I only smoke it in my Baki Silver Pot meerschaum that I dedicate to this blend. I don't know how much of a factor the pipe plays in the flavor but this is fantastic. I also prefer the tinned MR over the bulk as it seems to have more depth to the flavor. I have over 6lbs of tinned MR and will be getting more. Seattle Evening I tried 1 bowl found it just ok but will let it age a few more months and revisit it. :puffy:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I also prefer the tinned MR over the bulk as it seems to have more depth to the flavor.
Hmmmm, I think I at least owe it a second chance. I smoked a few ounces of the bulk. Perhaps I'll procure a tin, and give it another go.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I smoked Plum Pudding for some time before I ventured on to Mississippi River - I thought it couldn't be as good as PP and didn't want to be disappointed. WRONG! Different but equally special. What a beautiful all-day blend. I have them both in my rotation. Haven't tried Seattle Evening, but will now!
Andy

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It seems odd to me that guys are dedicating tobaccos to a meerschaum as it is the most neutral medium in which to smoke tobaccos. If neutral then whatever cake does form doesn't influence the taste of the next bowl. If no, or little, influence, then the benefits of dedicating a pipe are lost. When I think of meerschaum, I think of smoking one different blend after another in it without bumping into ghosts.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I don't think any pipe is totally neutral but agree meerschaum is pretty close to it. I have other meers that I smoke many different blends in. I smoke a lot of MR in my Baki and the flavor shines so I don't want to mess with it just a personal choice. :puffy:

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I bought 2 oz when I first started smoking and found it to be a bit sticky and didn't care much for the flavor.
I saw this post last night a lit one up with my morning coffee. I am blown away. This stuff is fantastic. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of it. Smoking the bottom of the bowl as we speak. Yummy yummy!

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Do you guys have an opinion on bulk vs tin with this blend? Should I just get the tin? Or is the bulk the same?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I found MR needs a little dry time. As far as bulk vs tin differences, I can't speak to it at this moment. I've tried the bulk and while it was ok, I found it lacking something. Recently a forum member offered to send me a sample from tins he owns. I'll report back if there are any differences I may find.
If you haven't tried Plum Pudding put it on the list. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.