Missions to Mars: Are they Really Such a Good Thing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
9 Fresh Winslow Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I believe one of the main aspects to the mission is looking for the most exotic metals known to man. Metals like Rhodium , Ruthenium,Iridium,Osminium, Palladium, Rhenium, and others.

These metals may be what it takes to create the singularity. Maybe we can make a wormhole or faster than light speed.

We allow billions of people die from hunger every year while we look for a new type of propulsion system as we turn this planet into a dead rock. Imagine how long you could hit your driver in the Mars air. Maybe 500-600 yards. Our planets leaders are just plain stupid and nothing can change stupid. Note I said out planets leaders, I did not choose a side because they are all stupid, I don't differentiate.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
I am amazed and fascinated by the progress humanity is making in the peaceful exploration of our solar system (and hopefully interstellar at some stage)! Frankly speaking in the long run we need to become a interplanetary species and move some of the eggs out of our one fragile basket. For me, the spirit of curiosity and exploration is the very thing that makes us human. At times where we seem to loose our ability to communicate and work and dream together across tribal and political boundaries this gives me some real hope!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
We went to the moon on the technology of a toaster, we had the magnificent Concorde...then around the 70s-80s when the cold war was all but won, hence lower competition, along with money being the driver of everything it seems that big ambitious projects are either sidelined or dropped.

For sure they don't capture the public's imagination anymore. The stuff going on at CERN will be life-changing at some point yet I recall people talking about how much money is wasted on chasing theoretical fairy dust like the Higgs' boson when we have real problems right in front of us. For sure we do but it is this big picture thinking and primary research that leads to...anywhere.

I think the missions to Mars are a great thing.

@goldenmole tribal and political boundaries for sure. I'd like to also add "religious" to this. I bet if there are intelligent beings out there, and they are more advanced than we are, they'd look at us and laugh at our squabbles over which group's bearded guy in the sky is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.