Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I was bidding on it, 1947 DUNHILL Bruyere CLASSIC APPLE, & after 250.00 I began wondering if this is worth it. Maybe 2 estates off a good site would be better, or one good one & baccy. Thanks for all the suggestions earlier last week guys! I don't know if 275-300 for one old pipe is worth it to me I guess. I know $250. was.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I let a birth year dunhill poker (favorite shape) go because I thought the $20 over my I it was too much. Then I realized how rare it was to find a 65 let alone a poker for sale to begin with. The next 65 I came across was from mkelaw pipes and I did not hesitate.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I always look for my birth year pipe and never seem to find anything with a reasonable price.

@K9: A 65 is the year I am looking for what makes that year rare to find?

Jim

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
K9,I would buy it from mkelaw pipes also. just afraid of ebay somewhat when it goes over $200.00. Not educated on pipes enough. I am still looking but need to learn values of Dunhills better. It was probably worth it but it was the first one to pop up.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"It stinks when that happens. Makes those times you win even sweeter. Another ones bound to pop up eventually."
Amen to that. After having lost out on a great pipe two weeks ago, I scored three successes last week. It's all a matter of knowing how to snipe.

A birthday pipe for me is a pipe of any year I'd like to get for my birthday. This year I bought 10 birthday pipes - 3 months in advance! :lol:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sorry to hear it but I agree, that's a lot for a pipe.
Spending that much on a birth year isn't always a bad move. Depends on a lot of factors. Is it your preferred style and size? If yes, can definitely be worth it.
FWIW, my general rule of thumb when figuring my max bid is - will I be haunted by losing it for $5 or $10? If the answer is yes, then I raise my max to a point where I'd be fine with losing it if it goes a penny more.
I've actually won a few bids just because I went $10 or $20 higher than I originally planned on. I got my beautiful Dunhill ODB only because I decided to go $10 higher than I wanted to originally.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am sorry you lost out on this if you truly loved the pipe. It is going to be difficult finding another 1947 and honestly 250.00 is not a lot for something that rare. If I remember correctly wasn't it a very small pipe at a group 2? If that is the case then maybe it is a good thing you passed as that size is extremely small.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
A 1947 would also be a patent era pipe and the price range on those definately is above $250.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
@K9: A 65 is the year I am looking for what makes that year rare to find?

Jim
Jim I cannot answer why the 65's are hard to find. Might just be my luck but I found plenty of 64's and 66's when I was looking. Like mentioned above I also demanded a decent size bowl and alot of the older dunhills that I have come across were size 2 and 3. I settled for a size 4 bulldog, but will always be on the prowl for another 65 poker.

Aug 1, 2012
I feel your pain with not being able to let yourself spend more than a certain amount on a pipe even if you've been on the lookout for a rare one. I've been on the hunt for an older Barling for about 4 months but I just can't spend what they go for right now. If I do find a good one for cheap, they always go for $1-5 more than I can spend at the moment. I guess piping is about patience so I'll just have to have some until I can get a little more ahead on cash. Best of luck finding your pipe at the price you can pay.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Dang, I was watching that hoping to hear good news. So sorry. Well a 1947 will come up again and perhaps a style you like better. My birth year Dunhill is a peewee group 3 pocket pipe that came from an English seller, then off to Bradley for a retort as it had a nasty Lakeland Ghost. It's small and only cost me a c-note(born after 1968 = cheaper Dunhill lol) but I really do cherish it and it is a pleasure to smoke now that the ghost is finally gone. I don't think I would trade it for another 1970 model. It has character, was retorted and smoked by a great friend that helped me fix it to my liking, it's a part of me. Good luck in your search. I will keep an eye out for ya!
Not to rub it in but I am pretty proud of this little girl. You will find yours. Pipe smoking is indeed a journey.
89D1F5FA-1C34-4F88-A310-65BFF59143E2-8890-000007037CCE7A03_zps59c3d886.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.