PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Took a mini 2 day trip to Monterey last week. Time was very limited but I managed to check out 3 shops. First was Hellam's- big shop, lots of cigarettes, no tins, some bulk offerings at very reasonable prices. Some basket pipes and Ascorti pipes on the wall. Lots of novelty, touristy 'junk'- it is in downtown Monterey. Seemed to have a large selection of cigars. Could be some cool stuff in there but I was in a hurry.

Next shop was the Humidor- as you can probably guess, mostly cigars. Was in there all of about 2 minutes but I think I saw some Pete's behind some glass and a couple of Dunhill tins on the shelf.

Last was Carmel Pipe Shop. Was parked in a 30min zone so time was of the essence. Great selection of pipes. I think the owner helped me but there wasn't much chit-chat. Wish I could have spent more time there. New pipes, old pipes, estate pipes. Not a huge selection of tins, but decent. Bulk offerings were pre-bagged in ziplocks. Found a selection of Savinelli pipes in different shapes that were stamped 'CARMEL PIPE' specially for the shop. Came home with this guy:

image108-600x450.jpg

image109-600x450.jpg

image111-600x450.jpg

Sorry for the phone pix.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I lived on the Monterey Peninsula for several years and love the area. We still go back and visit Pacific Grove and Carmel whenever we travel back through California.
Hope your Carmel pipe is a good smoker!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Cool Pipe! I lived in Monterey in the mid 90's. I L O V E it there. Good to know there are pipe shops around for my next visit.
Thanks!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I actually started smoking a pipe when I was stationed in Monterey in 1988. At the time I was only interested in cheap basket pipes and even cheaper aromatic tobacco, so I was pretty much set.
Great area though.

Status
Not open for further replies.