PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I tried a search and didn’t glean much.
I just ordered a mini meer from AND, it’s a little billiard (claimed to be block) with a 3/4x1ish inch bowl.
I figured it’s bowl is the same size as my MM Morgan cob that I smoke a lot at work.
Are these viable smokers that anyone actually puts to use?
Did I just waste $20?B42CCE44-C32A-495C-B04F-DB82EC563D9E.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just ordered a mini meer from AND, it’s a little billiard (claimed to be block) with a 3/4x1ish inch bowl.
I figured it’s bowl is the same size as my MM Morgan cob that I smoke a lot at work.
Did I just waste $20?View attachment 193989
Hey it might be fun. The stem probably isn't that comfortable, but can be adjusted with sanding if need be. Why not!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have a mini-meer that I bought maybe 15-20 years ago. My preference is for simpler pipe shapes, and I think I was already seeking straight or only slightly-bent pipes by that point, but those attributes seemed harder to find in meers. Could also be that I sucked at searching.

mini_meer.jpg

To be honest, I don't smoke it much because it doesn't pass a pipe cleaner and the tiny bowl can be fiddly to pack. I'd rather it were a mini-Prince. puffy

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
don't smoke it much because it doesn't pass a pipe cleaner and the tiny bowl can be fiddly to pack. I'd rather it were a mini-Prince. puffy
One of the reasons I went with ANP over Royal Meerschaum was that they list the bowl sizes on their site and RM doesn’t. The billiard/egg I got should be 3/4” bowl 1.2” deep (about the size of my most used cobs and briars). We’ll see about a cleaner.
Hopefully the walls of the bowl aren’t too thin.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Did I just waste $20?View attachment 193989
It looks like a fine pipe from a reputable dealer to me. One of my favorite briar pipes is a ropp j03 which has very similar dimensions. I’ll bet you’ll like it even more than your Morgan cob.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Just came in, very happy with it. Had to use small diamond files to open up hole in bit, but tenon seems solid and the bowl seems great. Nice finish work and wax on exterior seems even and well applied.
All in all, looking like the best $20 I’ve spent lately-ordered Wednesday night, n hand Saturday noon to boot!
Gonna be useful in objectively trying new blends in my search for landing on what I really like.
E9D87A72-4E97-40D3-B746-72A1213D5488.jpeg

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
Very cool, thanks for the tip. I prefer small pipes so I just ordered one myself. I got a bent billiard with an amber stem. 20 bucks seems like quite the bargain. Though I have to say that in my experience with pipes, price is not at all indicative of quality. I have bought some very expensive yet horrible pipes. My favorite pipe is a cheap little ratty Genod with half a dozen fills.

I've never had a meer before but I do have a little clay pipe. I'll post a picture when it arrives.

Reactions: UB 40

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Very cool, thanks for the tip. I prefer small pipes so I just ordered one myself. I got a bent billiard with an amber stem. 20 bucks seems like quite the bargain. Though I have to say that in my experience with pipes, price is not at all indicative of quality. I have bought some very expensive yet horrible pipes. My favorite pipe is a cheap little ratty Genod with half a dozen fills.

I've never had a meer before but I do have a little clay pipe. I'll post a picture when it arrives.
Nice!
Did you check the bowl size, lots of their mini’s have .625” and smaller.
I’m thinking of getting another 3/4” bowled billiard and straightening and drilling stem (though the bent stem works fine after opening bit some w/tiny files).

Reactions: UB 40