PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
There are several threads from the past that asked if Millville pipes are still being made and sold in London. The answer to both questions is yes! I recently purchased two Millville Pipe from St James Market in London. John Marshall still has a stall at the very back of the market as soon as you walk in. Spoke to him for several minutes about his pipes and Charatan's Make pipes. He is there in the market from Tuesday through Saturday. Picked up two very reasonably priced new pipes during my visit.
The first is a "made by hand" Millville with double comfort stem picked up at a very reasonable thirty-five pounds:

The second is a Millville "Standard" purchased for 15 pounds:

While visiting London, I tried to get to James Fox, but always arrived after they closed at their main store. I did visit their store in the basement at Harrods, and picked up a James Fox bent billiard:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great traditional London made pipes. What souvenirs of that great city. If you get a chance, I'd smoke them

each at a separate landmark -- the Tower Bridge, Westminster Abby, and the Tate Gallery, or some such.

Congratulations.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You did have a good day! I like the idea of smoking them at the key London landmarks. Visiting London/England is definitely on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing those. Do you have any pix of John's stall at the market? I have a feeling that would be different from what we're use to here in the states.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
No pics of John's stall. I was too busy perusing his pipes and talking to him about his former work with Charatan to think to take a photo. He showed me a pipe he hand carved over five months that was a one inch long fully functional Dublin with vulcanite stem. He said that he made one previously but thieves stole it from his stall one night, before he learned to not trust the nightime security and just take his wares home each day.
The stall itself is mostly tourist stuff. The pipes are to the right and take up less space that a page from the Washington Post. I believe most people going to his stall would not even see them if they were not looking from them.
He did tell me to mention online that he is still very much making pipes, and he does not look at forums.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Milville's are indeed great pipes!
As an aside for the older members: John is one of the few vendors at the market with a key to the "loo." He usually has time for a bit of talk, either about pipes or what to see and do in the neighborhood.
He usually has a decent selection in the stall and, talk about personal service, it's usually just you, him and the pipes. You can find some not so traditional shapes at times, nothing too wild though. John, in my opinion, doesn't stray far from his esteemed pedigree.
I hope to visit with him in the spring. As soon as AccuWeather projects a week or so of good weather for London.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What an opportunity to chat with someone who made pipes for a giant in the Golden Era. If you go back, please take some pictures of John and his area (if of course he is willing). A little video talking about his pipes/experiences would be amazing.

Jan 8, 2013
Very nice :) And the James Fox billiard looks identical to a Peterson XL90 I'm comparing your picture to one of mine now, and I'm willing to bet the size is about the same too. Anyway, I love the XL90 shape and that James Fox of yours is freaking awesome.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
If you get a chance, I'd smoke them

each at a separate landmark -- the Tower Bridge, Westminster Abby, and the Tate Gallery, or some such.

Congratulations.
Cool idea mso489! Going to remember that concept anytime I travel and buy a pipe.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I was also looking for Millvilles some time ago, and probably passed by their stall without noticing it :P
Fortunately I managed to get ahold of one (via a friend), and I love it. My second favourite pipe :)
I'll try to drop by again when I'm in London at a convenient date (I think the market is only there from Thursday to Saturday, right?).

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great thread guys. Welcome @echie!
I bought a little bulldog from John last week - while it's sad that was once a double stall display is now a couple of small shelves (about 20 feet down to about 4 feet), John is still very enthusiastic about his craft and will make pipes to order. He has all of the original Charatan patterns and documents, inherited when the factory closed, so is a mine of source info about that marque and can make any of their shapes. His Dad - who founded Millville - was one-time Managing Director at Charatan.
I'll take some pics next time I'm in Jermyn Street, hopefully before Christmas.
Andy

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
OK so I visited John Marshall of Millville pipes on Wednesday, bought (another) couple of pipes and persuaded John that the good folks on PM.com would appreciate a picture of him and his wares! John is notoriously adverse to the internet and doesn't market his wares online at all, preferring to sell to folk in person, but here he is:
bJu2A3ul.jpg

Here are the pipes I bought, pictures taken in the Master Blender Room at Dunhill Tobacco at 1A St James in London.
KsfiTqXl.jpg

XQCFcual.jpg

Please visit John if you are in London - he is a master craftsman who has made some of the highest grade Charatans and still takes huge pride in producing quality pipes under what was once a well-known British marque.
Long before I met John, another piper told me about the British Pipe Shows that were held in the hey-day of the 1970s and 80s; Millville pipes were so popular that they used to take 200 dozen (2,400 pipes!) to shows and have sold them ALL BEFORE the official opening of the event. Millville were so popular that rather than have an empty stand on days 1 & 2 of the show, John and his Dad were forced by the organisers to tag pipes that had already been sold (not hand them over) and only distribute them later in the event!
http://piccadilly-market.co.uk/
Andy

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Excellent Andy. I will certainly be paying Mr Marshall a visit whenever I next get to London.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
Toby67: the James fox was 40 pounds, which is roughly 62 dollars.I have only smoked it once so far but I feel it is promising.
Andystewart: great job getting a photo of the stall.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Wish you guys would let this thread die. It's even worse now that I can see John's gentle smile and a few of is pipes. Now I'm really getting the urge to visit London really soon.
This thread is going to cost me a bundle if I can't resist the urge to go. I'll hold Mr. Stewart most responsible for forcing me to blow the dust off the wallet and part with a few dollars. Good on you Andy!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A trip to London is on my bucket list and a stop at Johns stall would be my #1 stop! Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures, this kind of opportunity is rare (unknown) in the US and I suspect fleeting in the UK.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
LOL Warren - please let me know when you're hereand I'll take and post a pic to prove it really happened. And I'll buy you lunch/dinner somewhere that let's you smoke.
Same for you @ssjones - you're right; John and his stall are unfortunately all too rare, even here.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.