Milkshake...Chocolate, Vanilla, or strawberry?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
I think a proper chocolate shake is made with chocolate ice cream. Using vanilla ice cream as the base gives you a vanilla shake with chocolate syrup. If I can't get a real chocolate shake my next favorite is strawberry.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you're talking hand scooped, poured by pretty young lady (who sneaked a bit more syrup into the cup), and the metal mixing cup left on the Formica bar, served with a hamburger, grease dripping down your arm while sitting on a red vinyl stool dipping really greasy fries into thick catchup, my choice would be vanilla. I say this knowing that I was going to get to finish off my mom's chocolate shake.
Life was good!
It's still chocolate. But, my real preference would be a chocolate malted with a raw egg in the mix. Damn! I just gained 8 pounds typing this.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When I was in High School I worked at a Howard Johnson's. What was it? 48 flavors? I can't remember, but there were a lot of em and the ice cream was excellent.

I worked from dishwasher to salad bar, to fryer, to breakfast cook, to set up man, and also 'fountain'.

I was a soda jerk.

We made milk shakes, frappes, and floats. A milk shake didn't get ice cream. A frappe did. A float had a scoop sitting on the rim of the glass and had a mixture of flavorings including cream and soda in the mixed beverage.

My favorite was a malted (a couple of teaspoons of malt added) mocha frappe. The more ice cream you add the 'better' the frappe.

I don't remember the recipe. Was it a squirt of chocolate syrup and coffee ice cream? or ..Was it a scoop each of chocolate and vanilla coffee with a chocolate syrup base? Whatever it was...it was cold and sweet and filling and tasty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Used to also love chocolate sodas, which had a kind of zingyness, and chocolate malteds, at the soda shop in town. They also did a mean butterscotch sundae, which is a flavor that seems to have faded from popularity in favor of caramel. Of course, I also like hot fudge sundaes. Have to watch the sweet stuff these days. Sparing quantities.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Why the question (and perhaps what we can only imagine) is "Chocolate, Vanilla, or strawberry"?

Is it because of the McDonald meme? :oops:

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Has to be vanilla, always need to go with an original. Plus it pairs perfectly with almost anything you want to add, root beer, bourbon, Guinness, coca cola. Just works perfect by itself too!

Status
Not open for further replies.