PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I will say, the most sketchy thing to me was transportation. The fire base I was at on the Pakistani border had no transport to and from Kandahar other than medivac or this civilian contracted U-H1. The pilots told me it was a 1967 model. Man 2 hrs one way gettin beat to death and wondering what “that noise it just started making” is. On the way, those dudes would stop and hover on any side or top of mountain and pick up more people or sometimes cargo! I gotta give big props to those pilots!
8C5984FB-E217-4D1F-95FE-6C46862CA99B.jpegB58419DE-D855-44EB-992C-CCE681C57362.jpegA7416E1C-EC15-4AE2-A648-4322832D6DB1.jpeg

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Not active duty or a veteran, however, I have worked in Law Enforcement for 7 years. Hope it's still okay that I share.

My unit was controlling a blasting operation for a major development. It was the most dynamite I have seen in my life. The stuff looked like processed meat in plastic packs with metal clips on the end. The developer was also using riser charges, which were like red bull for dynamite. Due to the proximity of the blast to the Islands biggest internet cable, and no small amount of power lines, we had all kinds of private safety officers and a seismographer assisting. We had to close down a major thoroughfare in order to safely detonate. The target was a large section of cliff rock that had previously evaded machine excavation efforts.

One blast had already went well, or as well as a controlled explosion could go. We were up for the last charge of the day. Everyone was prepping, the road closure crew was doing its job. However, one lady decided she just wasn't ready to continue waiting. Just as the final horn was about to blow she blew past the roadblock. My partner is now screaming at this top of his lungs for her to stop. Thankfully she did. Given her rate of speed and the elapsed time between her stopping and the explosion that followed. I calculated that the boulder that was thrown into the road would have landed on her hood or roof. It was as close as I have ever seen someone come to getting themselves an early exit in my life. She was more than thankful that she had listened when she did.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Not active duty or a veteran, however, I have worked in Law Enforcement for 7 years. Hope it's still okay that I share.

My unit was controlling a blasting operation for a major development. It was the most dynamite I have seen in my life. The stuff looked like processed meat in plastic packs with metal clips on the end. The developer was also using riser charges, which were like red bull for dynamite. Due to the proximity of the blast to the Islands biggest internet cable, and no small amount of power lines, we had all kinds of private safety officers and a seismographer assisting. We had to close down a major thoroughfare in order to safely detonate. The target was a large section of cliff rock that had previously evaded machine excavation efforts.

One blast had already went well, or as well as a controlled explosion could go. We were up for the last charge of the day. Everyone was prepping, the road closure crew was doing its job. However, one lady decided she just wasn't ready to continue waiting. Just as the final horn was about to blow she blew past the roadblock. My partner is now screaming at this top of his lungs for her to stop. Thankfully she did. Given her rate of speed and the elapsed time between her stopping and the explosion that followed. I calculated that the boulder that was thrown into the road would have landed on her hood or roof. It was as close as I have ever seen someone come to getting themselves an early exit in my life. She was more than thankful that she had listened when she did.
Hell yes it’s ok!;)
Crazy story, by the way!

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA

There was an episode of Gomer Pyle that was like this - you sure you didn't just watch it!? :ROFLMAO:

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
“Light em up if you got em, don’t let me catch any of you talkin or sleepin during my class..................Put em out.”
View attachment 56528LIFE BEFORE-GRANGER. “You came into this world screaming and covered with someone else’s blood, plan on leaving the same way.”
I had one drill sergeant and only one who refused to cuss. The rest of them it was no holds barred I learned some great saying from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.