PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So I got a Peterson 303 rustic a few weeks ago and really like it. I want to get another one in the smooth finish from their premier line. While reading up on them a bit more, it seems that a lot of folks are of the opinion that military mounts make it near impossible to break the stem and also that it lets you remove the stem from the shanks at any time whether hot or not. So can I or can I not remove the stem while smoking it? I ask because the pipe does tend to gurgle with moister blends and it would be nice if I could just swab the system chamber with a cleaner mid-smoke, especially since it's near impossible to get a cleaner through the full bent stem. :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
So can I or can I not remove the stem while smoking it?
You can. That is why they were designed in the first place.

It is my understanding that a soldier will have need of quick placement of his pipe in a pocket owing to the necessities of orders or battle. One may be smoking peacefully one moment and in a pitched battle the next.

Jul 15, 2011
I have two military bit Dr. Grabows, and I remove the stem while theyre still hot with no problem. With military bits, if you look at the construction, the part of the shank that the stem fits in to should be metal, not wood. The metal doesnt expand and grip the stem tightly like the wood does, so the bit can be removed without injury to the pipe.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
I have one now for 6mths and have no problem to take the stem out

when it is hot actually one of my favourite pipes/tobacco

combination

david

Status
Not open for further replies.