PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
So i have almost zero experience with cigars, but i recently got my first non self employee job in a decade, and i have smoke breaks now, instead of smoking whenever i want.

Because of this, i picked of some little cigars. The smallest cheap guys i can find, which were these little erin go bragh mini things. They are pretty good, and i am enjoying them moderately in my breaks, but i am wondering if there is a small cigar option that is smooth like a virginia pipe tobacco. I have smoked probably fifty cigars in my life and they have all had that same heavy, kind of spicy cigar flavor. Wondering if there is a way to change it up.
Thanks in advance

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
For smoothness, I would recommend a Dominican filler with Connecticut Shade wrapper. CS wrappers can sometimes get a delicious funk to them while others don't contribute much to the overall flavor profile. The key is to try what you find out there and see what you like best. There are a lot of excellent small cigars that get overlooked.

As for the cigar being akin to Virginia tobacco, cigar tobacco is different, being "black tobacco," a distinct cultivar of N. tabacum. Virginias don't fall into that category, but I'm guessing you're looking for something smooth, sweet, possibly fruity and lacking the stronger earth notes associated more with burley.

Myself, I like the Davidoff small cigars, La Galera Connecticut, and La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet no 3 for a quick smoke. Partagas Chicos (Cuban) are far and away my favorite, but they're pretty rustic, so smoothness is right out the window.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Are we talking small cigars like cigarilos? With those you will never reach a smoothness or creaminess of a Virginia pipe tobacco or a Connecticut shade wrapped tobacco due to the wrapper to filled ratio and a lack of binder.

If were talking small shortfiller cigars you might consider Arturo Fuente Exquisitos. You can find these dirt cheap (like $2 a pop) available in 50 count boxes. I've had the Maduro, but they also have a natural wrapper.

I dunno your lunchbreak time and this reaction might be to obvious, but why not enjoy a partial filled pipe? Or buy a smaller "office" pipe, maybe meerschaum that doesn't hurt to be smoked more, and smoke that? I have a small Altinay Meerschaum, if I fill that half or 3/4 loose packed with a rubbed flake or ready rubbed tobacco it will last half an hour.

Reactions: OlJawBone

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Man,I don't know. Typically businesses that have "breaks" last only ten to fifteen minutes at most. Go into your tobacconist and see what he has to offer.

Reactions: OlJawBone
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
You might consider trying Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Miniatures in a tin. They have a Connecticut wrapper. As long as you don't puff too hard and sip them like a pipe, you'll get creamy notes, hints of unsweetened cocoa, and a little hint of spice.

Reactions: anotherbob