PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Met him once, in a travel plaza food line. I said "Champ, you look like a million bucks" - he grinned a mile wide and said thanks. My one blush with celebrity.

In the early 80's, at a PA restaurant, a kid was working for me who qualified as a heavy-weight alternate for the Olympics. He was at a bout and MIke Tyson was just about to turn pro. He was supposed to do a three round exhibition, but his heavyweight competitor was sick. They asked for volunteers. My kid volunteered. He said those three, one minute rounds with Tyson were the most scared he had ever been, he was just ferocious, in an exhibition that had no meaning.
Tyson has said before that exhibition or not, he's always coming out the same. That kid had a set of steel balls getting in the ring with Tyson.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
The guy was hovering over Tyson's seat, in his personal space, waiving his hands all around, and taunting him. I would think that Mike would be within his legal rights to grab that dumb ass by the neck and pull him over and neutralize the problem. The sad thing is that the moron won't learn from getting scuffed up and will continue to be an idiotic menace to someone else in the future. What a fucking idiot.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’ve met Mike twice. Both times was fortunate enough to engage in conversation.

When we shook hands it was interesting how soft his hand shake was. He saw the odd look on my face and asked if I wanted a “manly” handshake. I said sure.
The next time I saw him I preferred the soft handshake.

He’s smarter than people think. He prefers pigeons to people.

The aggressor is lucky Mike is older now.
I have a friend who's met Mike, and his story is really similar. He said Mike was totally cool, soft spoken, had a sense of humor and just wanted to be talked to like a regular guy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’ve met Mike twice. Both times was fortunate enough to engage in conversation.

When we shook hands it was interesting how soft his hand shake was. He saw the odd look on my face and asked if I wanted a “manly” handshake. I said sure.
The next time I saw him I preferred the soft handshake.

He’s smarter than people think. He prefers pigeons to people.

The aggressor is lucky Mike is older now.
I met him once when I was a teenager and he signed my copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out. He hugged me and told me to stay in school and out of the ring. I got nothing but friendliness out of him.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I've read that the guy threw a bottle. No idea if it's true but something set him off. I watch Mike's podcast on YouTube and he always comes across as really laid back and cool.
There's always one dumbass who has to ruin it for everybody.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The plot thickens:

MIKE TYSON PUNCH 'VICTIM' HAS EXTENSIVE CRIMINAL RECORD

His name -- Melvin Townsend, III, and this isn't his first encounter with cops, by any means. He's been convicted of fraud, grand theft, burglary, possession of controlled substances and trafficking in stolen property.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
When you harass a man who has lethal power in both hands what were you expecting to happen.? craycray

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure about all the state and local laws, but many places a professional fighter's fists are legally a lethal weapon. I don't think age disqualifies this. So this is a little like knocking the hat off some guy who is holding a loaded gun.

I don't doubt with age, Tyson has become sadder and wiser, but if he'd unloaded on this guy, the results wouldn't have been pretty.