Middle Earth Sampler Pack and thoughts on future purchases.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcasey

Lurker
May 12, 2015
I just received the Middle Earth Sampler Pack from JFH and I've been pleasantly surprised so far after smoking some last night!
The current sample pack came with:

* Longbottom Leaf

* Treebeard

* Old Toby

* Shortcut to Mushrooms

* Ruins of Isengard
I've tried the Old Toby and the Ruins of Isengard so far.

* Old Toby - This is my first time trying Perique and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't really overpowering and the spiceness made it an interesting smoke.
* Ruins of Isengard - I guess the Latakia was on the lighter side for this blend because I really liked it. I know my first attempt at a Latakia blend (Dunhill 965) didn't work for me last week because it was just way to much. Maybe the Oriental/Turkish played apart in me not liking it. What ever it is, I like the Ruins of Isengard alot and the sweet after taste lasted for most of the night.
Questions for future purchases:
* How does Escudo compare to Old Toby? Since it's only a Perique/Virginia blend does that mean it's heavier on the Perique than Old Toby?
* I've read good reviews on Molto Dolce, but is it just another basic aromatic or does it have more flavor than say Mac Baren Vanilla Cream or Virginia NO 1? The Molto Dolce has (Black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia) which is similar to some of my other aros I have so far, but the flavoring of (Caramel, Honey, Vanilla) sounds really interesting.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
How does Escudo compare to Old Toby? Since it's only a Perique/Virginia blend does that mean it's heavier on the Perique than Old Toby?
It doesn't compare at all - one is a topped ribbon cut with Burley, Virginia and Perique. The other is an unflavored VaPer coin. You'll find Escudo very different in flavor, strength and aroma.
I've read good reviews on Molto Dolce, but is it just another basic aromatic or does it have more flavor than say Mac Baren Vanilla Cream or Virginia NO 1? The Molto Dolce has (Black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia) which is similar to some of my other aros I have so far, but the flavoring of (Caramel, Honey, Vanilla) sounds really interesting.
I didn't care for Molto Dolce - I thought it was steamy and chemical laden without a lot of flavor. However, it's not very expensive, and a lot of people love it. Personally, I think Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream has a lot more flavor and is superior in every way, but you might as well give Molto Dolce a try - you might love it.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
If you try any of Sutliff's aromatics, let them dry out for a bit. I just got 4 tins of some of their stuff, and all of them were pretty high in moisture content. But I will contest that Sutliff has some great flavors! I've liked the 3 blends of the 4 I've bought (Haven't smoked the 4th yet)
If you like that middle earth sampler, check out these middle earth inspired blends:

http://www.thecountrysquireonline.com/middle-earth-tobaccos/
The Country Squire is my local B&M and is nationally known for their podcast, and they hand blend all house blends. They're quite wonderful! I've tried the Old Toby and Second Breakfast blends, both are nice aromatics. They all smoke well.
Also, I suggest you try another blend from them, Lancaster! It's an aromatic with caramel and coffee notes. My favorite tobacco blend of all time for sure.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Welcome to the forum!
Never bought the Middle Earth Sampler but did buy Shortcut to Mushrooms based on a review (Black Cavendish, Latakia, flavoring) and not realizing it was one of the Middle Earth series. It's okay but I probably won't reorder or keep it on hand as a favorite tobacco. What is similar that I like much better but without the flavoring, and you should like it also since you enjoy Perique is JFH's Black Magic Woman (Latakia, Perique, Black Cavendish, Burley). I don't find the Latakia or the Burley to be overbearing in Black Magic Woman so you might enjoy it.
I'm not a fan of Molto Dolce; so wet it crackles when it burns, didn't like the PlayDoh smell, and won't put up with the goop. But your experience and preferences might be different.
If it turns out that you like the Latakia, Black Cavendish combination and staying with JFH you might try their Whiskey Biscuit Gravy (Latakia, Black Cavendish, Vanilla). The Vanilla is very mild and not overbearing; not so artificial or PlayDoh like.

wcasey

Lurker
May 12, 2015
"Escudo very different in flavor, strength and aroma."
.....Meaning that it's stronger on the Perique? Spicier?
"Lancaster! It's an aromatic with caramel and coffee notes. My favorite tobacco blend of all time for sure."
.....Thanks Chalbach72, I'll check it out!
"I don't find the Latakia or the Burley to be overbearing in Black Magic Woman so you might enjoy it."
.....Thanks Johnnyreb, It sounds nice, I'll give it a shot also.

May 7, 2015
My first tobacco purchase was Longbottom Leaf and Old Toby. I picked up Shortcut, Ruins a few months back. When I do smoke I keep going back to Shortcut to Mushrooms.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Tried the Just For Him blends but wasn't impressed enough to reorder. I would recommend you order the Middle Earth blends from The Country Squire in Jackson, Ms. http://www.thecountrysquireonline.com/ They have I think four or five Middle Earth blends and you might like some of them.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've smoked Lancaster from Country Squire, and find it to be a nice butterscotch/carmel flavored smoke, much like Trout Stream, from Scotty's on P&C. I also like their Hunting Creek which reminds me of some of the Middle Earth stuff form JFH. What I do like, is both Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Whisky Biscuit Gravy from JFH, as they remind me of the Frog Morton blends, with just a little less latakia. I've been smoking these blends for quite a few months, and find them, along with Hunting Creek some of my most smoked blends.
I need to get back to Country Squire again, as I need to stock up on some of their blends I like, and even it it's 90 miles away, it's still one of the best pipe shops I've found since the 1980s!

whiterabbit

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
Big fan of Shortcut! well, I was when I had it. Maybe I'll snag some more this week. Black Magic Woman sounds like something I should stay away from haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.