Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I have pipes from Peterson, Stanwell, Savinelli, Brebbia, Nording, etc. I am looking for a new pipe (not against estate pipes, just looking for a new one). I was wondering what brand one would recommend in the $200-$400 range. One that I could tell a difference in the craftsmanship and smoke-ability of. Maybe a new carver just getting started? I would love some recommendations.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'd take a look at the pieces from Abe Herbaugh, Nate King, Wayne Teipen, Andy Petersen, and even some of the blasted pieces from Scott Thile and Rad Davis can be found in your price range. I have pipes from all of these guys and can easily give them my recommendation.
Let us know what you decide on!
JJ

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
If you haven't tried a Rad Davis, you can find some of his in the upper end of your price range. They are a revelation in terms of the stem specifically. I also did a commission with Chris Askwith for a morta in that price range and it was worth every penny.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
If you want an artisan pipe Rad Davis will be on the upper end of your price range and for the money look at Ryan Alden ( Alden Pipes ) he has come a long way in a hurry . Turning out some beautiful pipes and well in your price range.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Michael Novak is another artisan worth considering. Especially if you like curvy freehands...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For my money Rad Davis makes the best artisan pipes out there. His stem work is incredible and he does some fantastic sandblasting. In terms of smoking properties, I have not found a better smoking pipe than a Rad.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I wish my mid range pipes were 200-400 haha! But, I just bought a Stefano for about 200 and it is amazing and beautiful on every level!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Ooh, I forgot about Ryan "Lonestar" Alden. EXCELLENT pipes and he doesn't know yet that he should probably be charging more than he is.
I think the current Jimmy Craig-era Ashtons are also excellent pipes. He mostly stays with the traditional shapes, but they're extremely well made.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
For smokability, I would suggest Scott Thile, Claudio Cavicci, and Rad Davis. Those are the pipes I own that smoke very dry.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a pipe made by Dan Chlebove that I absolutely love. Dan is a Bethlehem, Pa carver and much of his stuff is in your price range. I agree with others that for the money you're looking to spend you can get a very nice custom pipe and, probably, have input into it's construction.
My Gabieli double stack Dublin by Dan Chlebove.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There are a ton of guys who operate in the sub $400 range. It may be at the low end of their spectrum but it fits. Others a little less known and maybe a little less expensive are Jesse Jones, Scottie Piersel, David Huber, Matt Brannon, Thomas James, Jerry Crawford, Micah Cryder, Eric Klodt, Don Marshall, Nathan Rimkus, Matt Roussell, Brian Rowley, and David Shain. And that is just to name a few.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
200$-400$ that's quite the range there are many great pipe makers that fit that range tuff question. But if your going to buy one at that price the best thing I can suggest is to get a commissioned pipe from a good pipe maker some examples Walt Connoy, Rad Davis. David Jones etc there are many more.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Your mid range is much more than my mid range. Ha ha! I was thinking a hundred bucks. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.