New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Seldom do, but it's fine for a short burst or two.

The indoor humidity at my house is generally between 40-60% RH, so it's dry enough to wick moisture out in a few hours. I dry down quite a bit at a time, then stick it in a Mason Jar.

Nice humidity! As much trouble as I have with this and anything dryness related. If I didnt have so many roots here in south Alabama I'd head west just to dry everything out for a while. Haha

people with dry climates may never understand, the head aches of this problem. It can really be a B word.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I tried microwaving tobacco twice and both times it was a disaster. But it wasn't my fault. I spent quiet a bit of time working for the International Atomic Energy Agency - part of the UN. The first time I was visiting a power plant in Russia (well, technically, the Ukraine) in April 1986. I tried microwaving a tin of tobacco (damn wet Samuel Gawith) to dry it. But it's not my fault the Russians didn't have a "Don't put metal in the microwave" sign in English! And it's not my fault the Russians don't know how to properly ground their kitchen equipment when it's hooked up to nuclear reactor! Well, the next thing you know, the microwave explodes, poor Vladislav got covered in hot steaming flakes and poor poor Anatoly, well, may he rest in peace. Sirens started going off and we choppered the hell out of the there! Thank goodness my Uncle George (Schultz, Secretary of State at the time) had some pull with the media and was able to spin that little incident.

The second time I was in Japan in March 2011. I was in Japan, the home of electronics and it was 25 years later. This time, I gotta say, this may be partially on me. I had just gotten over the first incident and I figured it anyone had a microwave you could put metal in, the JAPANESE would have it! But NO! And still no "Don't put metal in the microwave" sign in English and no properly ground kitchen equipment in a nuclear facility! So it wasn't entirely my fault! You already have to walk to the curb to smoke your pipe, is it asking too much to dry your tobacco in the can in the microwave in JAPAN for pete's sake? Anyways. Sirens, choppers, got the hell out, you know the story. Well hells bells, it seemed like ground hog day all over again (except this time my tobacco didn't scar or kill anyone directly). Again, thank goodness for Uncle George. He still had enough pull to blame that one on the tsunami. But I did get demoted, big time. Now I work at the zoo feeding the big cats where I can't hurt anyone. It sucks. Feeding steaks better than I can afford to lions and tigers who want to kill me. Except Larry the old Siberian. He likes a nuzzle and butt scratch. I do get free turkey's at Thanksgiving though. Did I lock up all the enclosures tonight? Ah, I'll know when I go tomorrow morning. Mike will tell me.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I've tried nuking to speed along the drying process a couple of times, but I've never been a fan of the flavor afterwards. I dunno, it kinda tasted like the tobacco got "cooked" to me. And besides, living in the desert means it usually doesn't take long to dry whatever I want to smoke. Unless it's SG FVF. That stuff takes forever even in a 5-10% humidity environment!

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Works in a pinch but better ( for me) to load a bowl the night before and smoke the next day. Like so many things now, faster is not always better.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Loading a bowl the night before leaves the tobacco damp at the bottom, exactly where you want it drier.
It's easy enough to batch dry a tin, then jar it at the moisture level you like.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
I often pack two bowls with the same tobacco, dried differently to dial it in. I have compared 5,10 and 13 seconds in the microwave vs open air dried and found, for me, the microwave diminishes the flavor every time. Still plenty of buddies swear by it. If I’m pressed for time I’ll run it out and use a little space heater for drying, much tastier....to me. Good thread.

Reactions: mau1

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I love my microwave, but it's never used for cooking, only reheating. Not a problem with wet tobacco in an emergency, but I have 10-20 ounces of ready-to-smoke tobacco most of the time, dried slowly inside.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for the tip. Never thought of this.

I dry my tobacco by putting it on a paper towel in the microwave for a few seconds. Motzek Strang, Rich Dark Flake, whatever, I nuke it. In fact, I’m smoking some RDF from 2007 right now in one of my EXEXEL Barlings, fresh out of the microwave.

Earlier today, I read a review on Tobacco Reviews saying that using the microwave can cause tobacco to lose its flavor. I can’t see why, but what do you guys think? Is the microwave a no-go for you?

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Living a few blocks from Long Island Sound in the seemingly forever damp North East, I do find myself having to nuke tobacco from time to time. No more than 10 seconds. Don't notice any discernible difference in flavor. Helps out in a pinch.