PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's the point. Toothpaste doesn't remove oxidation, it shines. The OP isn't looking for oxidation removal, just prevention.
I read the title and his initial post differently. Maintenance is oxidation removal on vulcanite stems. The only prevention is to keep it in a completely dark place and don't use the pipe.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I had a thread two years ago detailing the restoration of this Weber. No oil has been applied to it since its cleanup.

View attachment 137882View attachment 137883
I'm both impressed and in the market to clean up a stem.

I found your previous thread, but the videos aren't available. Would you mind reposting or sharing a link? I'm interested in the flame method (and nervous).

Any other tips (so I hopefully don't destroy a perfectly good pipe)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm both impressed and in the market to clean up a stem.

I found your previous thread, but the videos aren't available. Would you mind reposting or sharing a link? I'm interested in the flame method (and nervous).

Any other tips (so I hopefully don't destroy a perfectly good pipe)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Youtube deleted them for inappropriate content : tobacco.

Work slowly. If in doubt in any way, try it out on an inexpensive pipe.

20180613_180543-1.jpg20200119_091902.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think an automotive plastic polish would be more effective than toothpaste and readily available. They come in different abrasive grades. I use Meguiars plastic polish, on a buffing wheel, for my final stem restoration prep.

Reactions: edger

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think an automotive plastic polish would be more effective than toothpaste and readily available. They come in different abrasive grades. I use Meguiars plastic polish, on a buffing wheel, for my final stem restoration prep.
The mirror shine on my above pictured stems was just thumb buffing with toothpaste. No power tools involved.