PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I’d like to keep the buttons on my vulcanite stems from going brown, but I don’t want to use overly aggressive pads to do this. What series of grits will accomplish this without removing any unnecessary material. I realize that vulcanite can vary in quality. Maybe I should start with the second or third gentlest pad and test the results as I go. Any thoughts?
I’ve written the numbers on the corresponding colored pad, so any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks in advance

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpberg

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I’ve been using a jewelry cloth regularly and they keep those portions of the stem that is not in my mouth very shiny, but,alas, the buttons always go brown due to my mouth chemistry. I’m looking for something simple and easy to do after each smoke before I rerack the pipe.
It seems others aren’t bothered by this by the pipes I see photographed in the “What are you smoking” thread.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Well, I wouldn’t use any grit paper after every smoke.
Maybe you want some rouge on a buffer wheel?
Keeping a buffing wheel next to my chair would piss off my wife, and at my age I’ve been giving away my tools. Would the gentler pads be that aggressive, in your opinion?

Reactions: JOHN72

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I’ve been using a jewelry cloth regularly and they keep those portions of the stem that is not in my mouth very shiny, but,alas, the buttons always go brown due to my mouth chemistry. I’m looking for something simple and easy to do after each smoke before I rerack the pipe.
It seems others aren’t bothered by this by the pipes I see photographed in the “What are you smoking” thread.

Micromesh is good for removing oxidized material in a very controlled way. But it sounds like you are after a preventative measure, in which case you need a barrier, not material removal. I use Paragon wax on all my stems and all my smooth stummels. I have a microfiber cloth (in came with a pair of sunglasses) that I use to buff my pipes after I‘ve applied the wax. All new or new to me pipes get a coat and a buff. It doesn’t take long for the microfiber cloth to get impregnated with the wax and I use the same cloth to give a quick wipe to the pipe and especially the stem after each smoke. This doesn’t eliminate oxidation completely but it does slow it down enough that I only have to give the micromesh treatment to one or two pipes a year out of a collection of 80+.