PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Before doing something stupid, I thought I should ask. I am getting ready to distill some more grappa and plum brandy this year, so as a result of the process I will have methanol on my hands. Since this compound resulting as a side product cannot be consumed (going blind being the drunk's least of concerns) I was thinking of using it for leaning various tobacco related products. In the past I have given it away to the elders in my family, they sure like to use it as rubbing alcohol, but they have plenty, and I am sure to have left overs.

I am thinking, that since it comes out pretty pure even from the first run, to use it in order to clean lighter parts, such as butane nozzles, or maybe even disinfect parts in estate restorations. Now this just occurred to me, and I am not sure it is such a good idea. Is it pure enough? (it may be better than the general brand of rubbing alcohol one gets from the pharmacy) Can it do any damage, clog parts, or even damage stems? Ideas?

Mar 1, 2014
I am shocked that your relatives are still alive.

"Ingesting as little as 10 mL (0.34 US fl oz) of pure methanol can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve."
"The median lethal dose is 100 mL (3.4 US fl oz), i.e., 1–2 mL/kg body weight of pure methanol.[28] The reference dose for methanol is 0.5 mg/kg in a day."

Toxicity is so high they set the safe daily limit so close to zero it may as well be zero.

I've heard Methanol is great for cleaning surfaces to a high degree of purity, no doubt it would be amazing for cleaning pipes, but you should be incredibly careful about handling (avoid fumes or contact with skin at all costs).

Last edited:
Before doing something stupid, I thought I should ask. I am getting ready to distill some more grappa and plum brandy this year, so as a result of the process I will have methanol on my hands. Since this compound resulting as a side product cannot be consumed (going blind being the drunk's least of concerns) I was thinking of using it for leaning various tobacco related products. In the past I have given it away to the elders in my family, they sure like to use it as rubbing alcohol, but they have plenty, and I am sure to have left overs.

I am thinking, that since it comes out pretty pure even from the first run, to use it in order to clean lighter parts, such as butane nozzles, or maybe even disinfect parts in estate restorations. Now this just occurred to me, and I am not sure it is such a good idea. Is it pure enough? (it may be better than the general brand of rubbing alcohol one gets from the pharmacy) Can it do any damage, clog parts, or even damage stems? Ideas?
I used to clean my canoe with it. Takes river scum off of aluminum like a champ.

I’m pretty sure that rubbing alcohol is just as toxic to ingest. But, I’m not going to be suggesting people use it, just because…. YMMV

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
SPC uses denatured alcohol on their estates, think about that.?

Post in thread 'Estate Smell, What Is It?' Estate Smell, What Is It? :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/estate-smell-what-is-it.39716/post-35344674
One of the properties of alcahol that makes it such a great cleaner is that it dissipates so fast, just leaving behind the impurities from distillation.
I use denatured on my estate pipes as well, but i also rinse with water long after the alcohol has dissipated. Once again, YMMV depending on how you clean it.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
This is one of those questions that gets asked over and over again.

Reactions: madox07
Mar 1, 2014
I used to clean my canoe with it. Takes river scum off of aluminum like a champ.

I’m pretty sure that rubbing alcohol is just as toxic to ingest. But, I’m not going to be suggesting people use it, just because…. YMMV
"Isopropyl alcohol, via its metabolites, is somewhat more toxic than ethanol, but considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol or methanol. Death from ingestion or absorption of even relatively large quantities is rare."

Handling rules for Isopropyl are basically "just don't drink it".
There's a reason most hand sanitizers use Isopropyl.

"Isopropyl alcohol, via its metabolites, is somewhat more toxic than ethanol, but considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol or methanol. Death from ingestion or absorption of even relatively large quantities is rare."

Handling rules for Isopropyl are basically "just don't drink it".
There's a reason most hand sanitizers use Isopropyl.

Got it, but I’d wager, having been around a still or two, that the methel that he is talking about, is really low abv and diluted. It’s pulled from starts and stops, along with some of the mash. There is so little in there that bad bootleggers could just mix it in, and risk it. In its pure form, yeh, a sip and tits up. But, bad apple jack…. You’d just wish you were dead the next day. It’s also known as apple palsy. But, it wouldn’t kill you, right off anyways. There are dumbasses who still freeze distill ciders, just suffering through the nasty parts.

I mean, sure, it’d just be better to go buy some vodka for cleaning your pipes. That’s the smart thing. But, if you’re on deserted island with some starts and stops, hypothetically, ok…. but, be mindful.
But, really, just buy vodka.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
The answer about cleaning agents for pipes is an easy one these days...

warm water straight from the tap puffy

Seriously, I used to be an "everclear" guy, but the warm water rinse is so much easier, and perhaps even more effective (or at least more efficient and equally effective). The conjecture that alcohol could likely be harsher on the briar makes sense too. Alcohol is a solvent, and could possibly have some impact on the oils etc. in the briar. Water, on the other hand, is pretty much benign.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
The answer about cleaning agents for pipes is an easy one these days...

warm water straight from the tap puffy

Seriously, I used to be an "everclear" guy, but the warm water rinse is so much easier, and perhaps even more effective (or at least more efficient and equally effective). The conjecture that alcohol could likely be harsher on the briar makes sense too. Alcohol is a solvent, and could possibly have some impact on the oils etc. in the briar. Water, on the other hand, is pretty much benign.
You're might be right about the water versus the alcohol. But, water is also a solvent. it just dissolves different things.
I do general gunsmithing and build some custom rifles, On walnut, beech, and maple, alcohol is preferred over water for less havoc with the grain.
Just throwing that out, not saying you might not be right about briar.

Let is know how the plum brandy turns out!!!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You're might be right about the water versus the alcohol. But, water is also a solvent. it just dissolves different things.
I do general gunsmithing and build some custom rifles, On walnut, beech, and maple, alcohol is preferred over water for less havoc with the grain.
Just throwing that out, not saying you might not be right about briar.
Are you referring mainly to using something to raise the grain gently with those woods while in final stages of finishing the stock, etc.? Makes sense.

OTOH, I've never raised grain on briar- finished briar, as I am not a pipe maker- with very hot tap water on all manner of briar pipes.

Reactions: madox07

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
Primarily raising the grain, and staining. When doing repairs, water swells the wood too much. Many very old stocks were originally boned, compacting the grain. Water, of course, plays havoc with that.
There are times that water is the preferred method, even for guns.
All of this said, a briar pipe, I know, ain't a gunstock. ;)

Reactions: madox07 and jpmcwjr