PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstatepipe

Lurker
Oct 24, 2010
I've been browsing ebay lately(must not give in to temptation),and have seen a few pipes with metal stems and wooden bowls.I kinda like the looks of them.Anybody have any input on them.How do they smoke,etc.....

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Some people love them. Others hate them. I am in the middle. They are OK for the most part. Dr G. Used to offer a seven day set of briar bowls for their Viking. I don't know if they are still available or not.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I have a Viking and really like it. My local B&M has the 5 day sets with 5 bowls and one stem for $40-$50.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I'm pretty much with UncleArthur on this one....I think these pipes are oookay but I like my briars and cobs better.... :wink:

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I have a Falcon and a Kaywoodie. They are pretty nice, I would not replace my briars for them but they are in the rotation.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Try as I might over the years, metal in a Pipe is just not for me.

The exception to this is the use of a screen in the bottom of a

chamber that's getting thin. I'll use load stones for the same purpose.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Falcon pipes have a huge following of believers in that design. Some have a triple pass design in the long stem like the Quiet Comrade that makes for a really cool smoke, and makes cleanup terrific, as all the dottle simply lays in the bottom of the metal cup beneath the bowl and you see exactly what is left behind and it wipes out easily.

P1030462.jpg

P1030458.jpg

P1030460.jpg

P1030461.jpg

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Last night on fleabay I won three Coopers Filterite pipes for the sum of one American dollar . Can not find any info on the brand .

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I have 2 Kirstens and 2 Falcons and I really like them. :D I don't think I have any Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but after you clean them, you know they are really CLEAN. Other pipes have hidden nooks and crannies that you wonder about. :laughat:
You can order a Kirsten made up as you want it: http://www.kirstenpipe.com/
Falcons also have many possible combinations you can order.
As for "the way they look", they look like pipes to me, as do cobs and clays. Not like some of those freehand abortions that I wouldn't call a pipe by any stretch. :P
My only criticism is that most of the bowls are so small. The exception being the "Hyperbowl" available on the Falcon that gives me nearly a 2 hour smoke like most of my other pipes. The others are good for a short 30-minute blast. :)

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I've had metal pipe with a scre-on wooden bowl since 1972. The threads onthe bow became loose letting air ti enter the bottom of the smoke stack. This resulted in a sloppy smoke in a generally ugly pipe. It's the only pipe I ever tossed in the trash. All my other pipes are interesting and have good individual character, but each represents classic briar, meerschaum or cherrywood designs. This is as I like it. Metal should be used in tailpipes and guns. Not tobacco.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I always think they look like they are made for smoking "other" stuff in. But people do like them a lot.
:laughat: :nana: (smilies!)

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
A long time ago I had a Kirsten as one of my first pipes. I was young thought it was wierd and therefore "cool" (you can call that age appropriate). I left pipe smoking for quite a while and when I came back I looked for familar friends. A Kirsten, a Hilson Fantasia, and a Danish freehand were some of those. The Kirsten smokes fine has a small bowl for those short moments, but I ordered an extra bowl that was larger and 2 meerschuam bowls from Kirsten. Have it with me today and will be using some H&H Armada.

Status
Not open for further replies.