Metal And Briar In Unison, My H. Wiebe Radiator Has Arrived!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
A few weeks ago I asked if anyone had owned or owns a H. Wiebe Radiator pipe with the hopes that I would receive some positive feedback about them and I did. So I decided to pull the trigger last Friday. I love Smoking Pipes, but sometimes they don't carry what I'm looking for, so I went over to tobaccopipes.com and they had almost all if not all of the H. Wiebe frames in all the styles and colors.
As much as I liked some of the color variants, I decided to go with gunmetal, and I don't think I'll be disappointed after holding this beauty. I also wanted to, not necessarily be a cheap skate, but be efficient in my smoking choices, so I elected to contact Morgan Pipes about when they'd have their Bones Radiator bowls again, and they replied almost instantly saying they would be up that very afternoon (Friday). So when I got the email, I swung over there, snagged mine and I was set to be smoking by yesterday evening. I couldn't believe it. I ordered my frame from tobaccopipes. com, the bowl from Morgan Pipes, and they both got here yesterday (Monday). Talk about fast shipping!
I got into something recently that really threw my allergies a curve ball and I have been itching and broken out for over a week and finally went to the doctor yesterday and got prescribed a cream and some antihistamine pills, which I took after supper. Didn't take long to hit me and make me drowsy, so after assembling the new pipe last night and walking about the house dry puffing it like an idiot, I got too tired to smoke it.
This morning I took it on a maiden voyage filled with some Maltese Falcon and man oh man do I love this pipe! It hangs so effortlessly from my mouth and it smokes so very well, I'm tempted to buy another one sometime in the future. The Morgan bowl is fantastic! Nice blast and nice and smooth on the inside. Being an engineer, I can appreciate a good mingling of briar and metal in such a magnificent way!
Without further ado, my H. Wiebe Radiator pipe with a Morgan Bones bowl and her maiden voyage:
20190416_093637-391x600.jpg

20190416_093642-419x600.jpg

20190416_100522-378x600.jpg

20190416_101555-600x518.jpg

20190416_095351-480x600.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Just finished having a smoke from my Wiebe Radiator with natural Bones bowl, kept it smokey with some Dunhill Dark Flake, love your combination by the way, enjoy.

banjo
40107708870_b1c5b573e5_z_d.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
1. How'd you take those pictures with both hands occupied?
2. Those bowls are huge!
3. Stem on that one looks hard to clean?
Otherwise, not for me, but enjoy!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Didi, the bowls aren't as deep as they look. As for cleaning, it's super, crazy, unbelievably easy. Hot water is your dear friend.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Did your wife make that sweater and hat? Very cool if so.
Yep, sure did! Love them both!
Nice !

Just ordered a Radiator myself !
I don't think you'll regret it! I've only had time to smoke mine once, but it was a great first smoke!
Just finished having a smoke from my Wiebe Radiator with natural Bones bowl, kept it smokey with some Dunhill Dark Flake, love your combination by the way, enjoy.
Thanks Banjo! Looks like you have the frame that came with the bones bowl. I was very close to getting that one along with the bowl, but when I ordered my frame, I had no idea Morgan would offer one too.
1. How'd you take those pictures with both hands occupied?
2. Those bowls are huge!
3. Stem on that one looks hard to clean?
Otherwise, not for me, but enjoy!
1. I used my visor and the plastic beneath the window to rest the phone on. Of course, I could have said "magic", but no one would believe me anyway.
2. Yep, like Ash said, it's only about 1.5" deep. The rest of the briar you see beyond that is the threaded portion that screws to the frame.
3. Not too sure yet, but their website claims not. Just have to use warden sized cleaners on it, but again, like Ash said, I'll likely just rinse with water.
I will indeed enjoy , sir!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Interesting pipe. Not my cup of tea, personally, but interesting. (Well, yeah, I did say the same about the Nording Compass not being my cup of tea and now I've one. 8O )
Are there Meerschaum bowls for those like there are for Kirstens?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'm delighted that it all worked out for you, carolinachurchwarden. That Morgan Bones bowl will color surprisingly quickly. Don't be afraid to rinse out your frame with hot water. I really enjoy mine. As others have pointed out this chamber is pretty much s standard 3/4"x1.5", but that's an estimate. It might be a tad smaller, like .72". It looks tall because of the the threaded chamber below.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
The sweet hat and sweater stole the show.
Hahaha, glad you like. It's starting to warm up, however, and I'll have to put them away until fall. They have a little wool mixed in with the yarn and they can get warm in the sunlight while driving.
Interesting pipe. Not my cup of tea, personally, but interesting. (Well, yeah, I did say the same about the Nording Compass not being my cup of tea and now I've one. 8O )
Are there Meerschaum bowls for those like there are for Kirstens?
Who knows, you might add one of these beauties to the stable some day. I've learned in my 36 years to never say never. You'll always surprise yourself. I never thought I'd like a straight pipe as much as I do, until I got my Dr. Grabow for free by buying a pipe rack/cabinet from a flea market one afternoon. Now I own several in briars and cobs and I love them, just not the juice I have received from time to time when I mistakenly looked up a few times while smoking.
To my knowledge, there aren't any meerschaum bowls for it yet, but I'll be on the look out for it. I wouldn't mind having a meerschaum bowl for it. I already want one for my Falcon, just haven't seen a pattern I like yet that's been in stock.
I'm delighted that it all worked out for you, carolinachurchwarden. That Morgan Bones bowl will color surprisingly quickly. Don't be afraid to rinse out your frame with hot water. I really enjoy mine. As others have pointed out this chamber is pretty much s standard 3/4"x1.5", but that's an estimate. It might be a tad smaller, like .72". It looks tall because of the the threaded chamber below.
Me too, and I can't wait to get a little color on it, and I can tell by how it smokes, I'm going to be choosing this one a lot. The only thing I have to watch out for, is smoking it too hot. It smokes so well, that it's really easy to forget how fat you're puffing with it.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
May I ask where you got that Morgan Bones bowl?
I got the bowl from Morgan Pipes website listing for the Radiator Bones. On Friday, you could buy the bowl and the frame with bowl system separately, but I just checked and looks like all they have left are just the system deal, but I think it's still a great price. It's going for $89 plus shipping, and most of the frames alone would cost close to that. There's 3 systems left right now. I had thought about one of those brandy bowls as well in the future, but the Bones bowls apparently go quick. At $34 per bowl, I can see why. That's like half the price of the others I've seen.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, check out their other offerings as well. I have another one of their pipes and it smokes great too. It's a good way to get a good briar pipe at a lower end cost since the briar is not the highest aesthetic quality, but just as good in my opinion, and they don't stain it or anything so it keeps the cost low.

Jan 8, 2013
That radiator is certainly cool! And I've never heard a bad thing about Morgan Bones pipes. I'm sure the radiator bowl will be fantastic. I hope yours smokes wonderfully! Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it! :clap:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
What was your inaugural smoke in this bad boy?
Missed this one somehow. I started her off with a little Maltese Falcon, Seanv! And it was marvelous! Then I had a little Margate in it to follow it up. I'm about to load it up with a little LNF now and have me an after lunch puff.
Thanks Anthony! I think I might even have a little Old Toby for the ride home!

Status
Not open for further replies.