PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I have a pretty great story for today. There's this fella that comes into my local watering hole and will nurse a can of beer for a few hours while he smokes cigs. I've noticed him several times and wondered if he were homeless and was hanging out to get out of the heat. He's quiet, keeps to himself, but looks disheveled. I went in today for a beer and happened to take my pipe. As soon as I lit it up this guy started to chat a little. He never talks to anyone but I found out his name is Stan, he's a vet, and he was a pipe smoker for over 30 years! He said back in the day all he really had was Carter Hall but he did recognize a few other names I threw out. He couldn't remember what kind of pipe he last had and it had broken years ago he told me sadly. I finished up my beer, went home, and immediately located an extra cob and an Italian basket pipe I was given a while back. I took those and several tins of tobacco I thought he might like (unfortunately, I don't have any Carter Hall) and went back to the bar. He was sitting outside and I was glad he hadn't left yet. I gave him the pipes, tobacco, and a tool and boy his eyes lit up!! It's always nice to run into another pipe smoker but today just felt really good. I hope to see Stan back at the bar soon - smoking his new pipes.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Seriously awesome story!! Good for you for that kindness! Although I feel kinda bad now about the homeless guy I assulted and stole his pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, the universe is now back in balance. Something about a pipe guy without a pipe that just drives us nuts. Good job jacks'. We needed that.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I'm sorry, but the most amazing part of this story to me is that there still bars where one can smoke.

Jan 8, 2013
:clap: :clap: :clap: Very good of you, Jack. You might have made that guy's year. I hope you two can enjoy many smokes together in the future.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
@jacks6, next time you see him find out his story, pipe and blend preference, if you consider doing more for the guy PM me an address and I will gladly put up a Briar and a tin, I'm a Vet too

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
The neighborhood I live in on a dead end street and the first house has a new owner. I don't see him much except when he lets his basset hound out for a walk. The other morning while passing his driveway, I notice he has a pipe clenched in his teeth. I am always surprised when I see a pipe smoker and was not smoking at the time and didn't stop. I hope to,see him outside more that the weather is cooler, maybe we can talk pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.