PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
They have only been in business about a year or so. They mainly have Bing knockoffs made for them and sell them under their label. They were on the pipesmagazine.com radio twice in the last year. You could have just googled Merchant Service Pipes and got all the information you needed.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
He also has some amazing replicas from Basil Meadows.
I have two, including the very first one Basil made. It was my idea to have a faithful copy of Bing's pipe. The original Merchant Service pipes are too expensive on the secondary market, and comments I have seen about them make me think the quality of them vary.

I know one guy who got a seven day set from Basil.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Can anyone speak for the Nuttens Pipes Bings?
He's got a few fans on here but his work is a bit small for me.

The closest I've ever gotten to a Bing in my collection is a Weaver.

img_20160824_010936-600x337.jpg

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Follow-up on the new Merchant Service pipes. I ordered one of the dark stained pipes that I showed on my initial post. Unfortunately I guess I got a "stinker." The drilling was off almost a quarter of an inch. The stainless band is not inletted so the stem didn't match well. The briar did not appear to be anywhere near top quality. Certainly not the quality of a $125- $150 dollar pipe. I returned the pipe to Merchant Service. They were very sorry about the pipe and refunded my money quite promptly. I tried to reach Basil Meadows to see if he was still making his style of Bing pipes but got no response. So I ordered a similar model from Nuttens pipes of France. Took about a month to get here but looks top quality with nice briar, spot on drilling, properly inletted silver band and a gorgeous cumberland stem. I think the Nuttens brand fits the bill quite well. Hope it smokes as good as it looks. Hoppes
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those are beautiful lithe pipes that look like they don't weigh much, which can be an attribute. The shanks and stems look fragile because of their slenderness. Are they reinforced inside in some way? Or are they stronger than they look? Their length might make them a little heavy on the teeth, with leverage and all. But they are gorgeous.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Follow-up on the new Merchant Service pipes. I ordered one of the dark stained pipes that I showed on my initial post. Unfortunately I guess I got a "stinker." The drilling was off almost a quarter of an inch. The stainless band is not inletted so the stem didn't match well. The briar did not appear to be anywhere near top quality. Certainly not the quality of a $125- $150 dollar pipe. I returned the pipe to Merchant Service. They were very sorry about the pipe and refunded my money quite promptly. I tried to reach Basil Meadows to see if he was still making his style of Bing pipes but got no response. So I ordered a similar model from Nuttens pipes of France. Took about a month to get here but looks top quality with nice briar, spot on drilling, properly inletted silver band and a gorgeous cumberland stem. I think the Nuttens brand fits the bill quite well. Hope it smokes as good as it looks. Hoppes
View attachment 31490
View attachment 31491
View attachment 31492
View attachment 31493

That looks nice. Hope it smokes well for you. Let us know.

As for Basil Meadows, he's been out of action due to some health problems, but it won't be long before he's pipe making again.

Status
Not open for further replies.