PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've read several times about Bing Crosby owning Merchant Service pipes. About that being the definitive Bing shape. So for the second time I think, I hunted for one. They are hard to find. I finally found one on ebay and got it at a decent price. Proportions are about the same as my Sasquatch Bing. But it's about 30% larger. Rim has a gradual slope that transitions into the bowl. Really nice briar. Nicely figured with no defects or fills. Stem is good quality ebonite that was chewed. I repaired it as best I could. It's a comfortable pipe that smokes well. Any larger and it would be unwieldy with the stem length. Stamps read: Merchant Service Special. Made in London England.
As bought:
Merchant%20Service%20Bing%20Before_zpss0xo8hs4.jpg

Cleaned up:
Merchant%20Service%20Bing%201_zpsmsgvuasn.jpg

Merchant%20Service%20Bing%202_zpskim3jovl.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That is ONE SWEET pipe! You did a great job on the clean-up. That is one shape I never tire of-- It is, to me anyway, a timeless, elegant design. I wish I could clench one like 'Old Bing- he makes it look so easy to talk with one of these in his mug!

Curious- Whats the length of the pipe? (I have a Willmer Bel Air That looks similar, albeit blasted. It has the same graceful lines and rim treatment, 7" in length. I've always thought of it as my "Bing" pipe...)

Thanks for sharing!

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Amazing clean up! I'm sure you'll gets one great smokes out of it! Congrats on the find as well!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I would love to add something like that to my rotation! I just have not had the cash to get a Bing...(yet)

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
xrundog:
My Merchant Service Special is identical to yours. I find it to be a good smoker, but because of its comparatively thin walls, I have to pay special attention to packing the tobacco, and then SIP the smoke lest the bowl become too hot. Mr. Crosby seems to have been fond of this version, but his typically had a silver band (whether for aesthetics or out of need, I do not know) at the joint between stem and shank.
I hope that you enjoy yours, and wish you many bu, bu, bu, beautiful smokes! (Now if I could only sing...) :)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Another old soldier gets a beautiful refresh.
Thanks for the before and after pix as well.
Well done, Xrundog.
Fnord

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Damn bunch of enablers...just when I finally delude myself into thinking I don't need one of these, this post shows up.
Great looking couple of pipes, gents.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for posting the pix! Especially for having the presence of mind to take the pix before restoration.

I'm glad you found (and rescued) this particular pipe, and shared the adventure with us. :clap:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
xrundog:
Placing my Merchant Service smooth Special alongside my Willmer smooth Bel-Air I notice two things. First, the shank of the Willmer is both longer and thicker. That of the Merchant Service is truly pencil-like by comparison. Second, the bowl of the Willmer is slightly taller.
Both of these pipes have fishtail bits, but that of the Willmer is more splayed, which I like. Interestingly both pipes have some beautiful flame-grain. The overall quality of the briar of each appears comparable.
I like both of these pipes, but feel that the Merchant Service Special smokes slightly better. Maybe it's the Crosby connection?
I hope that you find a Bel-Air soon!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Striking pipe. All the Bing inspired pipes have that length and spareness. You really got that stem back to the original.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Very nicely done to what is a TRUE Bing pipe. By true I mean Bing always smoked a straight, smooth pipe with not an overly large bowl. There are plenty of pipes out there reminiscent of the Bing pipe but yours is truly a Bing, congratulations.

banjo

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Love it. I'm looking for a bing canadian smooth finish. I had one, but it broke. Ugh. Why don't pipe makers, at least good ones, make more of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.