Menthol Cigarettes Banned By FDA. Can Pipe Tobacco Be Next?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Menthol cigarettes have already been banned in the UK so people have turned to cards that you can slide into the packs, which give a very mild flavour of menthol; you can still get menthol infused filters for hand rolling cigarettes but these will probably disappear in the near future.

One thing this thread does raise though: members have already commented that certain aromatic tobaccos seem to be more lightly flavoured than previously; I’m thinking Erinmore, Ennnerdale, Condor, Bosun’s Plug to name a few. Could this be the blenders moving towards a time when aromatics are banned and they are trying to prepare us for the change?

I admit that could be a conspiracy theory that I have just conjured up though.

I’m personally not hoping the alligator eats us last, I’m hoping we can kill the alligator, and make nice looking baccy pouches from its skin lol.

I hope we can too, however the way I see it is more like pipe tobacco is the tadpole that the alligator unknowingly consumed while going after that tasty deer drinking on the bank = menthol cigarettes. The gator was unaware of the tadpole and didn't care as it was not his objective nor did he have affinity for it. Dead still the same.

This probably won't be stopped. It may never be enforced on pipe tobacco but we are certainly at risk. The only hope we have is if the Elephant = cigar manufacturers, scare away the gators thus saving us pipe tobacco industry = tadpole.

Me? I'm good for life in the supply arena. Several lifetimes, actually. puffy

As with any banned product in the annals of history, they won't be able to stop people from getting it, but it will never be cheaper than it is today. Load up on the sales if you can. If not, look me up when you're looking for some aromatics in 10 years. I will have some aged aros, but I'm sure they will still taste pretty good. ;)

Reactions: dctune and JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am sure the FDA is eyeing up all the former Twitter employees that like banning stuff at potential new government employees!
Apparently a lot of job openings at Twitter if the sale does go through. It's not a done deal yet, but employees are preparing to bail on the company.

Again, Menthol? Good riddance.

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
Dependence on corporations to do all of this stuff for you is weak. I make my own wines, grown my own tobaccos
I know right! Can't believe there are people out there who don't even sew their own suits, blend their own perfumes, distill their own spirits or, listen to this one, craft their own prescription lenses! Weak fools, what could they possibly be doing with their time? Corporate slaves!

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I know right! Can't believe there are people out there who don't even sew their own suits, blend their own perfumes, distill their own spirits or, listen to this one, craft their own prescription lenses! Weak fools, what could they possibly be doing with their time? Corporate slaves!
I don't wear perfume. But, i have had a suit made by a non-corporate business. Don't drink spirits, but I know people... Oddly enough, I have made my own glasses, not the lenses, but I am not as "into" lenses like I am tobaccos. I didn't say that people should avoid all corporate made products. Now even tobaccos, but if there is some flavor aromatic that I obsessed over, I'd figure out how to make it, if it were threatened by closure or laws or something. There is nothing magical about making your own tobaccos. Hell, most of the time, homemade is better than store bought. The more you can do for yourself, the stronger you are, IMO. But, I wasn't making some sort of anti corporate rant, ha ha.

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
I don't wear perfume. But, i have had a suit made by a non-corporate business. Don't drink spirits, but I know people... Oddly enough, I have made my own glasses, not the lenses, but I am not as "into" lenses like I am tobaccos. I didn't say that people should avoid all corporate made products. Now even tobaccos, but if there is some flavor aromatic that I obsessed over, I'd figure out how to make it, if it were threatened by closure or laws or something. There is nothing magical about making your own tobaccos. Hell, most of the time, homemade is better than store bought. The more you can do for yourself, the stronger you are, IMO. But, I wasn't making some sort of anti corporate rant, ha ha.
Fair enough! I did have fun pushing that idea to an extreme though :LOL:
I will definitely agree about people who can't cook. I know a few people who are so oblivious in regards to food, its painful to think about.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
This probably won't be stopped. It may never be enforced on pipe tobacco but we are certainly at risk. The only hope we have is if the Elephant = cigar manufacturers, scare away the gators thus saving us pipe tobacco industry = tadpole.
My take: that elephant (cigars) will ultimately be safe. Bc politicians will still want to smoke them to celebrate their heartless election “wins,” and on their taxpayer-funded daily golf outings.

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
Just remember, they pushed the tobacco age law through flawlessly and in record time.

It can happen again.

Maybe it's time to stock up on RYO menthol. Ohm green is my poison of choice.
Yes that was quite surprising! There were several stories of young people (18, 20 years old) who were cigarette smokers that woke up one day and were unable to buy cigarettes even though they had been for a year or more. As for the RYO, I started not long ago to save costs (the cost savings are monumental after the initial investment if you go with a nice rolling injector machine- about $1/pack for me, down from $6/pack).

The tradeoff is I am getting tired of having to break out the machine and make cigarettes for an hour every week. But that's actually good, makes me want to cut back or just stop- or switch to pipes completely. Not a bad idea to stock up. Not only are the going after "flavors" (who knows where that stops as you mentioned, doesn't everything have a "flavor"?) but it's only a matter of time until they find a way to close the loophole with the cigarette/cigarette tobacco tax that has allowed pipe tobacco (and other "pipe tobaccos") to avoid the 25% or so tax!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Yes that was quite surprising! There were several stories of young people (18, 20 years old) who were cigarette smokers that woke up one day and were unable to buy cigarettes even though they had been for a year or more. As for the RYO, I started not long ago to save costs (the cost savings are monumental after the initial investment if you go with a nice rolling injector machine- about $1/pack for me, down from $6/pack).

The tradeoff is I am getting tired of having to break out the machine and make cigarettes for an hour every week. But that's actually good, makes me want to cut back or just stop- or switch to pipes completely. Not a bad idea to stock up. Not only are the going after "flavors" (who knows where that stops as you mentioned, doesn't everything have a "flavor"?) but it's only a matter of time until they find a way to close the loophole with the cigarette/cigarette tobacco tax that has allowed pipe tobacco (and other "pipe tobaccos") to avoid the 25% or so tax!
The start up costs for RYO are the same as buying a carton, so it is quite an investment when it amounts to about $1 a pack. They key is finding a mix of tobacco and tubes that works for you.

I would roll while watching a movie, which made it less of an annoyance and allowed me to stock up as well.

Reactions: Osirus