PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
And for yours as well Ranger, I think the place we were taken too was called the Cannon or Cannon pub. Something like that. The details are fuzzy. Although I did do the dance of the flaming a$$hole on a table there just prior to us being asked to pack it in for the night. We got a short bus back to the base and sang Ranger cadences through the gate. Was a great week. Great people and I came away with a great respect for the American fighting men and jumpers in general. About 6 months after that we had some guys up to CFB Petawawa to get there Canadian wings. I'll see if I can find some of the pics and post them.
Rangers Lead the Way!

Fair Winds and Soft Landings Jumper!

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
piperl12:
Way off topic, but Ft. Benning hosts the Ranger Rendezvous every two years, when the 75th Ranger Regt. has its regimental change of command. The event last seven days and starts off with a magnificent Mass Tac jump by two of the battalions. Rangers from WWII, Vietnam, and every engagement since attend, as well as the active duty battalions who are not deployed.
The week includes competitions between battalions: soccer, football, mixed martial arts, boxing, combat shooting, etc.; a banquet in one of the old hangars; Ranger Hall of Fame Induction ceremony; a Ranger Memorial ceremony; a static display of current weaponry, and lots of other events.
The next one will be in the summer of 2015, probably around August. You should come down for one. You would have a blast and would most certainly be welcome. I've met some outstanding warriors there and made many new friends.
Here are a few quick pics of some previous Rendezvous gatherings.
rr07_74-600x450.jpg

No Ranger gathering would be held without the old "coin check." :lol:
100_1532-600x450.jpg

It's pretty impressive to see the sky blanketed with airborne troops, non-stop for about an hour and a half!
rr07_54-450x600.jpg

These two heroes were in 2nd Battalion, and hit the beach at Point Du Hoc, Normandy on D-Day. Amazing gentlemen and an honor to meet.
hangar-600x402.jpg

These youngsters are the studs in today's Army. Very impressive young men. The Ranger in the red shirt is Leroy Petry, who received the Medal of Honor in 2011 from President Obama. I'm the fat guy with the sunglasses on my cap and the mustache. :oops:

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
O.K. for all you non-Airborne types on the forum reading this thread, going way off topic here but due to the fact that Ranger has issued a coin challenge although this is the first one that I have ever gotten over the internet and I am a cheap SOB that likes my beer, I had to respond. For those that do not know what a coin challenge is here is the skinny. When you complete your jump course and are sent to the Regiment or in the Americans case a Ranger Battalion you are issued a serialized coin. It is the pride of every Airborne Soldier and proof of his service in an elite unit. Standing orders says he must carry it with him at all times. It cannot be drilled and worn on a chain with his dog tags. It must be presented upon demand, which traditionally is by another Airborne Soldier laying his down on the table or showing it in some way. To not respond with a display of your coin requires a forfeit of some type usually a round of drinks or if you are on base and cannot provide a beer 50 pushups might do. Now if you are challenged as in this case and the other trooper is able to provide or show his coin the challenger must buy the challenged a beer. So Ranger, when we meet up some day, I like Guinness lol. Oh and one other item, to walk into a Ranger bar, or Airborne bar in Canada with an Airborne shirt and not be able to show your coin will normally result in you losing the shirt, as well perhaps a few teeth. So here is my coin, forgive the ugly mug behind it its almost midnight here.
img3427-600x450.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's pretty cool! My brother did the Ranger Advance Camp before getting the boot by then President Clinton (he was a captain). Ranger school damn near killed him, (150 started, less than 20 finished). I think it was 16 weeks? (Desert, Mountains and swamp). I don't know if he has a Ranger coin, but I'll check or 50 push-ups is coming. I can still take him, if I get the first shot, and then run...no wait, he's much faster them me, that first shot better be a good one!

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
@piperl12:

Brother, if we ever link up, I'll buy you TWO pints of Guinness....one for the coin check debt and one for being uglier than me! :lol: Very good and complete explanation, by the way.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
@Ranger, I was really good looking before being dragged 100' behind a T10 Rig. I decided the instructor didn't know what he was talking about and felt feet and knees together was just a suggestion LOL. Well, that ended my chances at an acting career and created the facial features you see today :wink: Looking forward to taking you up on that beer someday!

Status
Not open for further replies.