PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Hello,

I recently bought an estate pipe that has meerschaum lined inside the bowl. The exterior of the pipe is all briar. I'm having trouble removing the "old storage smell" from the bowl. I've tried the salt & alcohol treatment but still no luck, the old smell comes back. Does anyone have a better solution?
Thanks!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I've got a Meer-lined Yorkshire bulldog that I brought back to life.
CAREFULLY ream any cake and tar buildup from inside the bowl. I actually finished cleaning the bowl on mine using some 200 grit sandpaper and iso.
Pay very close attention to the shank of the pipe.

I'm of the opinion that the majority of lingering nastiness in a smelly pipe comes from this area.

Pipe cleaners and shank brushes and twisted up paper towels with Iso until a wet pipe cleaner comes out, clean.

You should at this point be able to shine a light into the shank and see briar rather than tar buildup.
Finally, as said above, smoke it.
This is the Yorkshire I cleaned and the inside of the bowl was as white as it appears in the pic when I was done with it.

yorkshire_ML.jpg

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Thanks everyone!

I've restored other estate pipes and have been able to remove the previous tobacco aroma but this one pipe is becoming a challenge. I'm going to try your method OTD and yours also nsfisher

Status
Not open for further replies.