PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thor9

Lurker
May 21, 2014
Needhelp on restore meerschum lined briar pipe, I need info on cleaning the bowl of meershum lined .Take out the amoked color and build up on the bowl of the meerschum lining . Hope to resmoke it after cleaning ..Need experanced input on this question ..Can send info to my email also..thor2016@hotmail.com

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm no expert on meers but you need to be very careful. Don't use any alcohol to clean. I would guess that using paper towels to clean should suffice. If cake is your issue then a blunt edge from a pipe tool is all you should use. Removing the color from the bowl will be nearly impossible because it is so absorbent. I would think that smoking your blend will be the safest way to go. Make sure the stem is very clean. Use the standard cleaning procedures for dong this.

In short, smoke your usual stuff and it will cure the way you want it. Just swab the bowl after it cools with a paper towel.

From this point I will defer to the real experts here.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I decided to just scrape the lining out of one pipe since it was chipped up pretty bad at the top. It left a very thin bowl so I dont think that was the way to go. Repairs might be done with plaster of paris, I dont know.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hawke, I don't know if plaster of Paris will work for you since meerschaum and POP are very dissimilar. POP is a calcium sulfate while meerschaum is a hydrous magnesium hydrate. While your pipe won get hot enough to turn the POP into lime again I think you should avoid it. Again, I'll defer to the experts here.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I wrote about this stuff somewhere else. You have to be very careful as a lot of the meerschaum lined bowls are either asbestos or that stuff they make the mantles for gas lights from with the nettle fibre gas thingy me jigs. Since I remember using these things I must be damned old but its often best to be cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.