PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
I love my Meerschuam's.The only thing I dislike about them is the dirty hand syndrome and sometimes I do not like the coloring effects.I did a search on this site and found nothing about restoring to white original color.I have heard you could soak them in whole milk and open your oven and set it at the lowest temperature, to dry it to return to full white color.Has anyone tried this? I am hesitant to try this,I do not want to ruin 1 of my Meer's.I would think the milk could not protrude through the beeswax coating.Anyone with info please advise.Kindly,leafsmoker

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The are not meant to return to the same pristine white that you bought them. They will color over time, imparting a brown, or golden, or yellowish hue.
That said, for dirt or grime, I wash the stummel in warm water with a mild detergent and wash cloth. I would not soak in milk nor place in an oven, but then again, some are mortally concerned that water will harm a pipe! And I dislike beeswax coatings, so removing them with above is a big plus for me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you are worried about surface dirt, wipe it with a soft, slightly damp cloth. If you can't keep dirty hands off the warm meer by handling it only by the stem, washing your hands before smoking or using cotton gloves or handkerchief, live with the dirt and oils applied. It's all your choice. A lot of meerschaum smokers simply don't care. You too could be one of them should you wish.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Yeah, a damp cloth for the dirt but as far as the natural coloring from smoking, I thought that was the goal.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I do believe this is a first as far as someone not liking the coloring effects...it is normally something desired and is part of the whole meer experience.
As far as handling them, I've never experienced any issues and just handle them the same as a briar. I just wash my hands first if they're soiled for some reason, but I'd do that before handling a good briar as well.

DXS9Nc4UMAI37SW.jpg

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Too funny cosmic!You gave me a good laugh.Love the picture.I am trying it now with success! haha---thanks everyone else for the advice!!

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I've got a meer that I've beat the hell out of. I've dropped it a few times on rocks, I toss it in a backpack without a case because they're great smokers back to back when I'm on the go, I've held it with absolutely filthy hands and generally don't care for it as if it were precious.
The stem is almost black and all of the nicks and dents make it look pretty interesting, so people say. I'd post a picture, but it's outside in the back seat of my car somewhere.
They can take a surprising amount of abuse. It's an expensive meer, and some might be horrified at the mistreatment, but it became my kick around pipe. Maybe having a good block meer means you can knock it around without much worry. Maybe I'm lucky. But the thought of returning it to the condition when I bought it seems all wrong to me now.
Maybe if you drop it a few times on some rocks, and then pick out the pieces of rock that get embedded in the side, a little dirt won't seem so bad. At least that was my reaction.

Jan 8, 2013
Every single time I smoke one of my meers, I look at it and judge it's coloring based on what it looked like before. I can't help it. It's just fun! I want to see even the slightest change no matter how small it may be. Meers are meant to color. I don't know if it's still true today, but it used to be that a meer actually gained in value the more it colored. They can take on some stunning coloring.
Time and coloring are beauty my friend. I love my old meers..
Weez, you should post a few photos of some of your well colored meers to give him an idea of what to look forward to in a well colored, well taken care of meer.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Okay,thanks for the pictures.I like how the fist photo with the 2 pipes colored and I like the one that colored almost black. :worship:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
You never know how they will color. The pleasure is in the smoking properties of meerschaum, which I personally like more than any briar. To each their own... :puffy:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Now if you REALLY want to see some meers worth seeing, there is always my dear friend Simon...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If you are wanting to reverse the coloring affect on your meerschaum you can do the following. Wax your meerschaum, which is what some people do to help bring out additional colors; however, get the beeswax really hot (almost boiling), and it will work like a bleaching affect and remove the color and return the pipe to a white color. It won't be bright white but it will become whiter than what it was. I don't recommend this but I know from first hand experience that really hot beeswax can bleach your pipe (for lack of a better term) and remove the colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.