PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
So, I just ordered my first 2 meerschaum pipes ever from meerschaummarket.com/ .

this one:
Free Hand Block Meerschaum Pipe with custom case 10713 - https://www.meerschaummarket.com/free-hand-block-meerschaum-pipe-with-custom-case-10713/

and this one:
Poker Block Meerschaum Pipe with a custom case 10592 - https://www.meerschaummarket.com/poker-block-meerschaum-pipe-with-a-custom-case-10592/

I'll report back when they come in with pictures, first smokes and my experiences with the store.

Does anyone have any experiences with meerschaummarket.com?
Did they get the order right?
Where the pipes as represented? Where they block meer and not some pressed or otherwise reconstituted scrap?
Have any customer service issues?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
No experience with the website, but I have got a Mushin carved meer from smokingpipes.com. It does what it says on the tin. Although after a while I wanted something with a different tenon arrangement, and thicker walls, as meer seems to heat up rather quickly. But for the price, the Mushin-made meer works perfectly well.

Reactions: DavidT

Fantasm

Lurker
Dec 27, 2019
Virginia
i own 2 Muhsin pipes i have a poker style almost exactly like you have and an egg bowl style. They are wonderful pipes. before you smoke them though, run a stiff bristle pipe cleaner thru the stem, there were bits of acrylic from when it was made coming out.

Reactions: Casual and DavidT

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
Yay,,New pipes are here!
Ordered dec 28, 2019
received jan 2, 2020

They came well packed in an appropriately sized box lined with bubble wrap.
The individual pipes were in the proper case.
Each pipe case was individually wrapped in bubble wrap.
Both cases were then wrapped together in another layer of bubble wrap.

I looked them over really well and didn't see any obvious defects.
I ran a bristle pipe cleaner down the stems being careful not to push the wire into the side of the chamber.
Nothing came out.
I did notice that the draft holes are pretty much dead center and set slightly under the chamber.
So far, so good.
Time to start "testing" them for smoking characteristics :)

let's see here where did I put that 3 year old tin of 965......

Attachments

• 20200102_095801.jpg
    20200102_095801.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200102_095742.jpg
    20200102_095742.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200102_095544.jpg
    20200102_095544.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Casual

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
I forget to mention the tenons. The poker has a push style and the calabash/zulu (I don't know what to call this shape) has a screw type that screws the stem into the mortise.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I forget to mention the tenons. The poker has a push style and the calabash/zulu (I don't know what to call this shape) has a screw type that screws the stem into the mortise.
Inspect them closely. The mushin I have is a push-type, but I thought it was a screw for some time. The mortise is threaded, and a plastic insert fits in there, which accepts the push tenon in the stem.

If you turn the stem counter clockwise, it acts like a screw, but if you turn it clockwise, it exposes the push tenon.

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
Thank you gents. The zulu/calabash is in fact a push tenon.I was twisting left to unscrew and it actually just unscrewed the plastic insert from the mortise. Very helpful bit of advice.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I did the same thing on my first meer. ?

I was like "this thing is total horseshit" rotf

Status
Not open for further replies.