PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Is there any reason that you wouldn’t be able to wipedown a meerschaum with a damp cloth? I’m assuming the wax isn’t sitting right in top, and it imbeds somewhat.

i can see some considerable smoot that I would like to take care of

Reactions: dctune and jpmcwjr

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
This is becoming more and more complicated.

Just do a quick wipe down. You’ll be fine, but I clean my meers with Everclear. So follow my advice at your own risk, but I’ve never ruined one pipe doing it my way.

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I use a soft toothbrush and undiluted dish soap. Rinse off and set in a dish-drainer to dry for 24 - 48 hours. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRY WITH A CLOTH! I learned the hard way that you can wipe the carving right off the pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRY WITH A CLOTH! I learned the hard way that you can wipe the carving right off the pipe.
Damn! My old meerschaums handle towel drying when I clean the surface and on the carved ones use a toothbrush. I don't baby my meers except they are now mostly indoor pipes. Or, on the deck. I've seen one with such shallow carving that a swipe of a towel could damage, much less remove it. But, I've only had a doxen or so in my possession over the last fifty plus years. Picture please!

dctune

Is there any reason that you wouldn’t be able to wipedown a meerschaum with a damp cloth? I’m assuming the wax isn’t sitting right in top, and it imbeds somewhat.

i can see some considerable smoot that I would like to take care of
My meer is a bearded man’s face. I named the pipe Brother Daryl. And bc there’s so many little grooves and valleys, Brother Daryl has a tendency to get a little smudgy and grimes from time to time just due to my handling of his face whilst smoking. When I feel he needs a bath, I just wipe him down with actual baby wipes. Not Clorox wipes. Baby wipes. I even regularly swab the inside of the bowl with baby wipes to keep Brother Daryl from enjoying cake. Here’s Brother Daryl:
image.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’ve only water flushed my Meers a couple of times. Sounds like I need to start doing it after each smoke. Other than that, I treat them no different than a briar.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Damn! My old meerschaums handle towel drying when I clean the surface and on the carved ones use a toothbrush. I don't baby my meers except they are now mostly indoor pipes. Or, on the deck. I've seen one with such shallow carving that a swipe of a towel could damage, much less remove it. But, I've only had a doxen or so in my possession over the last fifty plus years. Picture please!
The pipe is long gone (in the trash) It was an excellent example of lattice carving (pipe within a pipe) I had just gotten the pipe and was eager to try it out. I have a process I go through with every pipe I receive. Part of that process is to scrub the exterior with a soft toothbrush and undiluted liquid detergent. Normally I rinse and set the pipe aside to dry. In this case I was impatient so I decided to "help" the drying process by wiping the pipe... All of the lattice just wiped off the pipe. I was disgusted with myself and heartbroken... Moral: Never rush anything when it comes to pipe smoking...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My big Kenan skull hit the kitchen floor without a scratch but it did leave a dent in the linoleum.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: weezell and tnfan