PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With all the commissions, and Meers, I didn't take you for a modern Grabow Kinda guy....
I've bought a few if the blister pack ones over the past couple of years and that slit in the tenon has always chewed at the mortise to the point of the stem falling out. Nothing like they were in the 90s and earlier.

Reactions: didimauw

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've bought a few if the blister pack ones over the past couple of years and that slit in the tenon has always chewed at the mortise to the point of the stem falling out. Nothing like they were in the 90s and earlier.
Yes but when the shank wears out and stem gets loose, you can bend the tenon to widen it and tighter! ???

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just curious--are those nylon (or whatever they are) mortise-tenon inserts all the same size, no matter the source, no matter the maker?
Most are universal but should be replaced in pairs. I've had one instance where I just replaced the mortise insert and the stem was loose so I replaced the stem insert and it was fine.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
This is actually how they should be made.

Stainless steel tenons. I absolutely love them

The bottom photo shows stainless steel inserts in an Albatross Bone and then Cumberland

I realize these are custom refits, but why can’t modern pipes use stainless?

View attachment 155507View attachment 155508
View attachment 155509
Two excellent carvers—Roman Kovalev and Cornelius Manz—use stainless tenons. Not only do they make an excellent connection, they also allow a lot of flexibility in the materials they use for the stem.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Two excellent carvers—Roman Kovalev and Cornelius Manz—use stainless tenons. Not only do they make an excellent connection, they also allow a lot of flexibility in the materials they use for the stem.
The only way to save these pipes was stainless tenons.

The silver work is original so the amount of space was slim

68C19127-3CAD-416F-8D3F-D3DED30888D5.jpeg

Reactions: dunnyboy